2018 Super 8's Dublin v Donegal 14th July, Croke Park, Live on RTE 2, Throw In 7pm

He’s better at reffing than Cleo Lane … but not singing …

Gaa folk would prefer if the ref was nt there. He let the game flow is the quote ( hurling aficionados in particular) that people love. That means the ref did nt try to apply the often mind boggling array of rules but rather threw the ball or sliothar In and was nt seen again till that night when the rte panel praised him( after needing reminding who the ref was). Thankless job does nt even start to cover it.

Gaa president aka fennaboy has said the rules are set in stone for next 3 years so Dublin will remain playing 2 games in croker watch wooley choke on his pina colada

OTB are too feckin stupid to choke

Even if they said they could put in a change for the next 2 years so Dubs v Munster/Connacht provincial champions would be outside Croke Park, the only counties who could potentially benefit would be two of Galway, Mayo, Roscommon, Kerry (maybe 2 or 3 others in the pot if there was some miracle). All the others would just lose funds as a result of the change in venue. So hard to believe there’d be enough votes to change it.

When the full review is done at the end of Year 3, that’s when there’ll be change, I’d say.

We should have the six in a row by then.

i can understand why it didnt happen, but i would love it keegan-style if DCB just had their super 8 home games in Parnell Park. Sod the lot of them.

I hate that ‘Ref didn’t let the game flow’ nonsense. The ref’s job is to enforce the rules of the game, it’s up to the players to decide if their behaviour lets the game flow.

Derry bus or Letterkenny bus will get you there (32 and 33 I think)

Definitely, but the ref should make the most of the advantage rule at the same time.

Thankless is right, I could never do the job in a million years. They don’t get enough support from the GAA itself either though, when the likes of pundits are criticising some decision or other (usually in the wrong), someone should be coming forward and saying ‘well actually the ref was right here lads’. It is shocking how many pundits don’t know the rules. Mind you it’s shocking how many supporters haven’t a clue of the rules either. The black card seems to remain a complete mystery to a lot of people and it seems it should be applied to mainly to players the crowd don’t like rather then any particular offence. But favorite is from a game last week, where I overheard the following

• ‘that’s a f******g foul ref - there are three men tackling, a third man tackle is a foul’

You have a point but the fact is that almost every tackle is a foul. Technically you cannot touch a man in possession. You can only play the ball. So in some sense they’re right. Not that they know that.

Apart from the shoulder tackle that is!! :wink:

You could end up in Portmarnock or Skerries though on either of those !

Any word on David Byrne injury?

All-Ireland SFC Quarter-Final Group Stage Phase 2

Saturday, July 21

Roscommon v Donegal, Dr. Hyde Park, 5pm (Sky Sports)

Tyrone v Dublin, Healy Park Omagh, 7pm (Sky Sports)

Sunday, July 22

Kildare v Galway St. Conleth’s Park, Newbridge, 2pm (RTE)

Monaghan v Kerry, St. Tiernach’s Park, Clones, 4pm (RTE)

All-Ireland SFC Quarter-Final Group Stage Phase 3

Saturday, August 4

Kerry v Kildare, Fitzgerald Stadium, Killarney, 6pm (Sky Sports)

Galway v Monaghan, Pearse Stadium, 6.00pm (Sky Sports)

Sunday, August 5

Dublin v Roscommon, Croke Park, 3.30pm (RTE)

Donegal v Tyrone, MacCumhaill Park, Ballybofey 3.30pm (RTE)

Excellent point. I think that is the root of the problem, it needs to be properly defined what is and what isn’t a foul, and then enforced.

Very true actually - many a long hour I spent on the 33! I even spent an hour sitting on one in Swords going into Dublin / City (delete as per your preference) only to find it was turning around and going back to Skerries.
But I meant the expressway numbers.

It was re-defined in 2014 https://learning.gaa.ie/Rule_changes

The Tackle

The Tackle is re-defined as:

“The Tackle is a skill by which a player may dispossess an opponent or frustrate his objective within the Rules of Fair Play. The tackle is aimed at the ball, not the player. The tackler may use his body to confront the opponent but deliberate bodily contact (such as punching, slapping, arm holding, pushing, tripping, jersey pulling or a full frontal charge) is forbidden. The only deliberate physical contact can be a Fair Charge i.e. Shoulder-to-shoulder with at least one foot on the ground. More than one player can tackle the player in possession.”

I was brilliant at third man tackles. I was never quick enough to be the first or second man.