2019 NFL Round 6, Dublin v Tyrone, Saturday March 16th @ 7pm, Croke Park

anywhere to watch this back?

He had problems with his knee when he was younger, so always I freak out a bit when he goes down holding it

The advanced Mark will be a loss to Tyrone,Kerry and Monaghan come championship it will certainly be in come championship 2020. Our defensive system relies on man on man battles with the defence flooding back to assist we have been caught out with the advanced Mark as it does not suit our attack or defence.

Looking at the lads last night I’d say they have stepped up the S&C as we weren’t at the races physically and could be doing a lot of heavy training.

I hope the three league defeats will be are Donegal 2014 moment. There are no reason to panic but only an away day to cavan and that’s the last div 1 opposition we face until possibly second round of super 8s.

Hope Paddy Andrews not too concussed and Costello isn’t a serious one, he appeared to be objecting to coming off which was a good sign.

Tyrone got 3 pts from the advanced mark…the winning margin.

That’s not true upthedall - they need €30000 approx to open it up, so a crowd of 5000 at €10 a pop will do. I enjoyed the game ,Tyrone were much improved but also have brought back some of the darker arts that they seemed to have lost over the years. Your lot seems to drink more than most - I was ages getting a pint at half time!

Only 5,000!?

Maybe the figure of 25k referred to revenue and not attendance them.

Didn’t see the game so genuinely no idea on the incidents. Not even the highlights.

This current Tyrone team have got stick because there isn’t enough badness about them. I also think it’s par for the course for two sets of fans to see the exact same indicent but see it differently.

Obviously it’s clear you are all wrong !

There were ones getting on buses with carry outs !

Making the most of St Paddy’s weekend.

At the AI final…the only ones who were pissed beside us and really annoying…were three Tyrone lads with sunburnt faces.

They had 15 behind the ball yesterday, not sure much has changed with them. They were pretty good going forward and getting marks.

I know the mark is gone for the Championship but it still leaves a question mark over ourability to deal with the high ball in to the big forward.

Any chance that Darren Gavin could convert to the full back line?

Thing is that Mattie D and C McShane aren’t even that big…not big like T Walsh anyway.

They’re maybe 6’ max.

Both are more midfielders - but they’re stronger and more able to win their own ball than the current forwards.

Cormac missed a great goal chance too. Whole left of the goal open but hit it at Morgan. We’ve been susceptible to the high ball for years now but nobody has really exploited it. They’ve tried though - eg Aido, Donaghy. When you are pressuring the delivery in and have one player jumping in the FB line and another sweeping around him it’s a lot more difficult than one on one. That’s how we’ve dealt with it.

If that is the one I’m thinking of, Kilkenny was free in the centre. All he had to do was pass it across and it was a tap in.

Overall I feel our performances this year in the league are pretty much at the same standard as they were last year, a lot of average performances with a couple of strong ones mixed in. It’s just last year we got away it. In particular last night’s performance reminded me of our game in Salthill last year (even coming in the same weekend, just one year on), we were lethargic in our attacking play, not making incisive runs and allowing ourself to become isolated and picked off in defence.

The other thing is that SEVERAL time I saw Dublin defenders BADLY judging the flight of the ball and generally ending up about a yard away from where the ball was actually landing.

Lack of Sharpness all around. D Byrne had a mare of a game, we left 1-3 behind in very good chances. No panic buttons required.

didn’t know what to make of that last night on the way out. no intensity- either team don’t really care or team aren’t able for it anymore. i really hope its the first one and the lack of gas last night is tied up in the longer term strategy. as i’ve said in other posts, as long as we win this year, i could endure another bout of the 80s, 90s or noughties no bother after that. last night reminded me of certain games over the last few years where we’ve had 2nd/3rd team out and there has been no penetration going forward. the problem being that we had a 1st team out or near enough.

Reading the reports of the game…they use words like ponderous, blunted attack, laboured etc to describe Dublin’s performance.

Tyrone are definitely ahead in their fitness - which I’m not sure is a good or bad thing.

This might seem like a mini-crisis to Dubs…but everyone else would swap positions with you.

Dublin will be a different proposition in the summer.

Couldn’t agree more. There was no change of game plan. However the ball kicked into their Full Forward line was high quality (most of the time) which exposed our Full back line badly, and they took full advantage off mark rule.
It’s a sight to see 13 lads sprinting back towards their goal with back to the ball

Given the length of time he’s been on the panel without making the team I think we can take it as read that Jim doesn’t consider him good enough for intercounty football

I think that one result is largely irrelevant. It has happened other years, or could have happened other years bar a late goal masking the performance.

But I think there is another issue. I think the system has now over taken the players a bit. The team that is being picked is the guys who can best implement the system. Which is fine, until the opposition doesn’t let the system work and we need to go back to winning one on one battles. If we hadn’t got Connolly and McMenamin to come on at half time in the 2017 final we would have been beaten. We needed guys who are just better footballers, under pressure, then the other team had.

If a Mayo or a Kerry really push up on us at the moment, they will beat us. I have been struck by how Mayo have been pressing since Horan returned. They don’t have the fitness yet to make it work, but they will.

In the past pushing up on us was only a partial success because we could break the tackle or win the 50/50 ball and then we were in against a depleted defense. But if we can’t do that, pushing up can be a lot more successful.

Kilkenny can dominate a back, Mannion can too, but his skill execution will let him down sometimes and O Callaghan can break even with a back. The rest are great at patterns and skill execution, but might struggle if really under sustained, intense pressure. That is why Paddy Andrews is back getting lots of game time - his strength is needed. We need a Connolly or Flynn who can really dominate. Both of them probably had their best ever games in the 2014 loss to Donegal, that was a day when guys really needed to stand up, and they did. It doesn’t have to be them, but we need real powerful guys in there and I am not sure we have them. Howard will be in the half forward line and he will help. But I fear greatly we can now be caught by a really intense team.

I think Tyrone did change tactics last night and kicked an awful lot of diagonal ball 30/40 yards which didn’t let us get the sweeper back because that ball was going in quick. A know the mark will be gone but they exposed a massive weakness.

Massive worry though is up front. Even against Mayo when we were the better team by far we never showed it on the scoreboard.