All Ireland SFC Final, Dublin v Kerry, Croke Park, Sunday September 1st 3.30pm

But they did beat them.
True, their defense has been weak which is encouraging for us.
They also beat us in the league so they will take encouragement from that.
And don’t underestimate Jack Barry, he has done a number on Fenton a few times now.

For the superstitious amongst us - when Kerry we’re going for their 5-in-a-row they also won their semi by 10.

ah yea look, for all the pros and cons on each side i expect the final is going to be a very tight affair, hoping we can contain them and get in for a goal or three. will be nervous as a kitten before and during.

People always say that but when it starts to become broadscale amongst fans it’s usually an indication that it’s enough for players to pick up on. Anyway nothing to be done about it, we’ve done amazingly well to get this far without rarely losing the run of ourselves on a large scale, which is testament also to the culture of the team and manager etc, that has an impact on the fans too.

And have momentum, an improving team, with potential for much more improvement, and the bounce of a whole new coaching environment, and culture. And look at the impact Buckley had for Mayo.

1 Like

What’s the difference between getting carried away and posting honestly? I’ve said I believe we will win , I said it before the semi final, ive gone out of my way to point out how I feel Kerry are a superior team to Tyrone/or a jaded Mayo, and I have pointed out where I feel it could potentially go wrong because no matter how confident when I analyze squads match ups etc there’s that nagging doubt that nothing is ever certain in sport, talking last night to a mate I said if we concede early v Mayo instead of Cluko taking the ball off the crossbar 30 seconds later ball is in the back of Mayo net what way could game have gone? What happens with stupid red card ,silly penalty etc all of it could happen and drive for five unravels, I maybe confident but never complacent

1 Like

Al in some ways you’re preaching to the converted - I’ve an innate dread of Kerry.

Said here before you need to put a stake in their heart to finish them off - they keep coming back when you least expect them.

But then Jim G is the best mgr out there - and Dublin have no real weaknesses that Kerry can exploit.

I can convince myself either way how tight it’s going to be.

“Yous alright there in The Kingdom Johnnie? Keep her between the hedges lad!”

Not sure what you’ve seen to make the above ridiculous statement. I think you need to educate yourself before making stupid statements… I’m a regular reader but don’t often post.

Read a few of my posts and you’ll see what colours I wear…

Luckily… I’ve only missed 1 final since 74… does that date ring any bells for you…

Wait…so my attempts at flogging Tyrone’s max strength laxative drinks here have been in vain?!

You people turn me.

1 Like

Yeh that’s the confidence of the man, and he will instill that in his players. First time in a long time they’ve had a coach who’s well able to handle the media

Ahh cool yer jets, I was just wondering what it was you could have posted in response to whatever I said that the mods decided to put the red triangle child warning over before you removed it. I assumed it was in response to my comment about what Kerry say about Philly…

It’s not dread of Kerry, it’s dread of the signs of increasing overconfidence amongst our own. Confidence is good but some of the stuff starting to come out is not. And yes, we do have one or two real weaknesses, which haven’t necessarily been fully tested yet this year, not since the league.

1 Like

How many of them were in Croker on Sunday I wonder :thinking:

If everyone predicted the same outcome…it’d be boring.

I like the fact that opinions here range from complete confidence to nervousness. With my dodgy predictions thrown in.

Truth is none of us know…which only adds to the build-up. Sure would you want it any other way?

T O’Se said 50/50.

But out of 34k…I’d say maybe 15k Kerry fans.

Whatever the split, there was more Red and White.

Well, there’s the doubt that perhaps Mayo weren’t really as good as we thought they were being at half-time, therefore the great spell of scoring was as much down to their weaknesses as our attack? Keegan just looked to be really the wrong man to have on Con. Though maybe nobody else for them would have done any better.
Everyone is raving about our performance but almost nobody is raving about Kerry’s comeback.
In answer to your question, people can post honestly and get carried away at the same time! Nothing wrong at all with confidence but overconfidence is an issue I believe, if it starts to take hold in a major way.

In terms of moments that change games as you mentioned, I’m thinking more of moments at the end of games where there was nothing in it, such as 2017 when ■■■’s free hit the post and landed best for Fento. That said, Fento reacted the quickest, and very calmly. Next thing we were winning the free that Deano won the match with.
And in 2016 in the replay, Fitz makes a brilliant turnover and clearance, and right at the death CK makes a fantastic fetch in the maelstrom of the midfield. Drawn semi-final game in 15 with Mayo having come back and all the momentum with them, we calmly controlled the ball at the back. And of course, at the very end of the final in 17 there were so many small moments around the field as we held onto possession under the highest pressure imaginable.

I’d prefer if the whole forum was full of pessimists just like in 2011!!

2 Likes

Well if it makes you feel any better…I’m not exactly Mystic Meg.

Reckon my predictions here are 50/50.

Which in a way isn’t bad if I’m predicting either a 3pt or 10pt win!

Ps. Top tip for next season: put your mortgage on Tyrone winning Sam.

I have never been superstitious and I hope I never will be, touch wood.

6 Likes

A friend of mine put it like this - he hopes that history repeats itself in the five in a row and that Kerry lose.

It’s going to be a battle of defences, id prefer a comfy three or four point lead throughout a bit like 2015 where I never felt we were going to lose, but that’s just for the nerves. I’d steel myself for a one pointer. Just a win of any sort. I think we can do it.

2 Likes

If that happens the Dingle Liberation Front will probably try to hack the site and change it :wink: