Allianz NFL1, Rd 3, Dublin v Monaghan, Croke Park, Sat 08/02/2020 @ 7pm

I’m not sure what to expect in terms of a team for this game. I’ll guess it’ll be the same as last two games. No word yet on Cooper or Con when they’ll make their return. Dublin win by 5+

Monaghan have beaten us in our last two League meetings - home and away. I thought they were in decline but that was a good win v neighbours Tyrone and any team with Conor McManus has a chance.

There was a kid David Garland for DCU who was just as good as Paddy Small in their Sigerson victory campaign. Is he part of the Monaghan senior team?

1 Like

They really give the league a right go every year and are always hard to beat in this competition. I’d imagine they have been training really hard since well before Christmas.

Tough game

Monaghan Dubs bogey team and going for their hatrick win in as many years

Big test ahead but hopefully theres a bit of revenge on the minds of the senior Dub leaders.

Would like to see A Byrne starting.

All good though, another good test for Dessie and he’s had some big games to get himself up to the pace. Cant ask for much more… no coincidence that the likes of Kilkenny are bursting a gut and in form.

Doing his best for Dessie and helping to manage this transition.

Its always the way. Good feeling playing for a manager that you respect. You want to perform well. Hopefully see more of the same on Saturday night.

A win here and a final appearance is on the cards

Good post. Hope A Byrne starts very impressed with him.

1 Like

Cheers bud. Yes A Byrne looking like Con. Winning ball, turning with strength and pace. The hallmarks of a dangerous player. Kick off both feet too

1 Like

Last year they caught us in the 1st round and in 2018 I think we were already qualified for the final, this year the fixtures have not been as kind to them, we already have 2 decent games under our belts and should be better prepared

3 Likes

Two small pieces of mitigation for our two previous defeats. In 2018 we had already qualified for the final and we were caught late while down to 14 men. It was Monaghan’s first ever win over us in Croker and first since 2006. Padraig Duffy was in front of me. He enjoyed it.

Last year was our first game after a late holiday and they were also trialing some stupid advance mark and sin bin. Thank God they knocked them on the head.

3 Likes

A Byrne has indeed made an impact … good low soloing technique and direct running causing opposition defences problems on his 2 x sub appearances to date this NFL.
I dont have my match notes to hand but IMSMR Colm Basquel would have been similar but scored heavier in his NFL appearances last couple of years.

1 Like

They were also unlucky not to at least get a draw with us about 4 yrs ago IIRC . B Brogan got a winning point at the death after a big points tally for CMcManus ?

1 Like

Basquel for me is the real deal. Top finishing, always seems to be in the right spot, football head on him. Its not happening by accident.

Dubs in a fine bill of health up front moving into next few years.

1 Like

@Wifi will love that.

4 Likes

I’m probably showing my age, but what’s this?

2 Likes

If Memory Serves me right, I think it’s “If Memory Serves Me Right”.

7 Likes

Thank fook for that I thought it another virus

7 Likes

Ah now, how is anyone supposed to know that!!

• Select thing you don’t know.
  • Right-click.
  • Select “Search with google”.
  • Be the incarnation of Proverbs 9:9
3 Likes

I picked that acronym up on here if memory serves me right …
I have always been a good speller … not that you would notice from my posts on here, which is a result of my poor typing skills on my phone … that is probably showing my age.
So anything that reduces the probability of a spelling errorr I grab with both thumbs.
Btw (By the way) @rochey I am guessing I’ve a few years on you !.

1 Like

Mitigating circumstances or not, Monaghan seem to relish playing the greatest ever team and raise their game, looking to take us on and not try to engage in damage limitation. Something some other bigger counties might learn from.

1 Like