Confused on rules

I have a couple of questions on the rules that I’m unsure of and hoping someone on here can help.

1. Square ball rule, is this now redundant or is it similar to the old rule where you can run into the square after the ball is kicked or does it only count at dead ball situations?

2. The mark - If a player catches the ball cleanly and continues to play, is there a certain amount of time/distance traveled before he can be tackled? I know if he stops he is allowed five seconds to play the ball without being tackled.

3. When a player is fouled, how far can the ref bring the ball up if there is a further infringement from the team who gave away the free, eg they kick the ball away or abuse the ref? I’d have thought it was 13 metres but have seen refs bring the ball up much further.

4. The shoulder rule - do the players have to be side by side for a fair shoulder to happen? If an attacking player is running straight at a defender, tries to side step him and receives a shoulder which knocks him off balance, is this a fair shoulder?

Thanks lads and apologies if these have been covered in another thread.

Q1. Square ball. During open play, as long as an attacking player is not in the square BEFORE the ball is last played that’s ok. For set play, (free, sideline, 45 etc.) old rule applies i.e. attacking player cannot be in square before the ball.

Q2. Yes, four steps or the time it takes for four steps. Opposing player must withdraw 10m

Q3. Referee can only bring ball forward ONCE by 13m. If there is a further infringement, a free kick is awarded.

Q3. As long as a player has one foot on the ground (and he is not kicking the ball) a shoulder to shoulder charge only permitted (so as long as it is shoulder to shoulder) that’s ok. An attacker cannot charge into the chest of a defending player for example which you often see during games.

Agree with all of above except the 13mt rule. The referee can move the ball forward 13 meters as many times as he wants as far as the 21 in hurling or 14 in football

Refs used to have an old saying You keep talking and I’ll keep walking

I’m fairly sure you can only move the ball forward once and then the yellow cards start coming out.

Q1 - Ans: Free against Dublin.
Q2 - Ans: Free against Dublin.
Q3 - Ans: Free against Dublin.
Q4 - Ans: Free against Dublin and Red Card to Diarmuid Connolly.

I swear I am not paranoid.

5 Likes

Cheers lads, I’ll mutter these under my breath the next time I disagree with a ref.

Another one, is the ref allowed to book you for cursing on the pitch if it’s not directed at him?

You are correct

Yes, if you are abusing a team mate, opponent or even a spectator, you can be booked for it

1 Like

Last year one of our lads got booked for abusing himself (not in that way)

1 Like

I guess the ref booked him for foul and abusive language, bit harsh if aimed at himself!

Can only advance the ball 13m once. After that cards come out. Refs often will give a decent 13m as they may not have their measuring tape with them. :wink:

I remember years ago playing a league match and one of our lads called the ref (well known ref from Rush) a Ginger Cnut. He was going to book him and I told him he wasn’t calling him it, he was calling our full forward(also ginger) it. Can’t remember if he still got booked or not

Some nonse

Are you an eejit or just fond of a drink? Or both?

Lads if a quick puck out is taken before players are outside the 21 (team in possession and opposition) what is the correct call to be made by the ref? Throw in or retake the puck out? I’ve always seen refs call for the puckout to be retaken but recently a ref threw it in on the 21 everytime it happened

Simply put retake, as both parties are at fault.

To be inside own 20m line when one’s team is taking a puck-out…throw in on 20m line.

To be inside opponents’ 20m line before a puck-out is taken after a wide. PENALTY - Free out.

Now to complicate things.

Weirdly and in typical GAA fashion “after a wide” mentioned above shouldn’t be there. You could argue after a score nobody has to be outside the 20m. Eventhough ANOTHER rule says the do, but the sliotar only has to travel 13m before you can approach it. So no need for “after a wide”

Furthermore the player taking the puckout can hit the ball more than once before anyone can hit it.

Madness.

1 Like

Confused on a few rules from 1 of the controversial incidents in yesterdays Hurling match…
Hopefully someone here can clear them up!

1. Is Hawkeye not only able to judge if a score went between the posts, not if it went over the line? It’s the second time I’ve seen it used for this, but always thought it wasn’t to be used to see if a ball went over the line, just if it was on target?

2. Once the referee restarts the match is that not matter closed? Again it’s not the first time I’ve seen this, but I was always under the impression that once the match restarts it is the end of it? Is there a particular part in this rule that excludes grounds that have Hawkeye? Or am I just making up this rule in general!!!

1. Hawkeye is only to be used for points, amazing when you think what’s at stake and somebody made a call that the technology is for points only. Over the line and between the uprights is what it’s there to confirm.

There will be murder when the goal line controversy comes into play, unless the goal is covered in meantime

1. Regards the break in play. Technically the ball did go out of play and as bonkers as what went on after, the proper procedure was followed.

Everyone asking for a 65m at the last shot in the limerick match. Arguably the kilkenny lad was too close when ball clipped his hurl so the proper penalty would have been a free 13m closer than original sideline.

Yes Only for points, if used to determine if ball crossed the line then Hawkeye would have given a Ta for the Joe Sheridan incident a few years back if it had of been in use then so it’s function is to only determine whether the ball went between the scoring space over the crossbar and that’s what it did yesterday, what followed does appear to have been an issue with the communication system what the issue was we don’t and likely will never know, but could have been something as simple as the radios failed then hence the delay. As previously commented above by someone there is no alert sent to a watch the 2nd watch is merely a backup.
This instance is the first of its kind in my recollection as all other Hawkeye decisions have been after the ball went dead and was awaiting the keepers restart, but this incident all the players and officials believed the ball was still in play so naturally carried on. What we do already know is that H checks for all scores so when play stopped for the next free the official should have been notified that there was a potential score under review and play should not have restarted but The ref cannot be blamed if he did not get that message. But hindsight is brilliant.
7 or 8 years ago we had cries for technology to be used in our games, it was introduced and by in large had been massive benefit to the games, A score that no body else saw was correctly awarded yesterday using technology, its that not what we signed up for?.

2 Likes