Cycling - In general

Landa sent up the road for Froome to use later could yet see himself in Yellow with a stage win. Martin could drop a place or two but if he finishes safe alongside the top 4 thats going to be a good days work.

Quick Step’s leader, Green Jersey holder, Marcel Kittel is struggling today. His group is almost two minutes behind the Yellow Jersey group which also contains Dan Martin (Kittel’s teammate) and Michael Mattews, Kittel’s main rival for the Green Jersey. Matthews has several teammates alongside pushing the pace in the front group, and in turn, putting pressure on Kittel. Dan Martin, despite being 5th overall, is doing his bit for Kittel by trying to mark Mattews.

Martin needs to do a Roche a la the Giro d’Italia and ditch team orders and try to get one or two teammates to back him for a podium finish.

Desperate for Dan today… really let down by his team. I hope Kittel loses out on the Maillot Verde big time now.

He has the shitest team in the race

So he can go back to being British again then so :wink:

The wind looks like it created havoc today too which has cost Martin dearly. Martin surely now has to launch an attack in the coming stages. Will be interesting to see what Uran does too as he is quietly going about his business and is well placed.

Kittel is out. He/QuickStep surely won’t be able to retain the Green Jersey now? Probably too late in the race now for Dan Martin to get any kind of serious help from the team.
Kittel crashed tosay at 20km. While I reckon (and hope) he’ll be ok, I am glad that QuickSteps blind faith has not been justified. They have a seriously talented Grand Tour rider in their ranks but wouldn’t back him.

Jaysis!

No issues finding veins to inject into so!

Dan on the attack

He lost a min on the decent, at least he had a go

He has a chance of moving up to 5th if he can stay far enough ahead of Simon Yeats.
I assume that Froome’s challengers need to do something tomorrow in that they won’t be a match for him in Saturday’s time trial?

Aru definitely gone now.

I don’t see him getting top 5 now, 6th will be his best.

Sorry, I meant up to 6th. Top 5 is beyond him unless he manages to break away from those ahead of him tomorrow.

Still too close to call at the top of the GC which is amazing really. Barring fireworks from Aru and Bardet looks like it could come down to Froome and Uran at the time trial. Chapeau to Dan Martin today for his attack. Hes been impressive this tour and hasnt had a poor day shedding multiple minutes. Should bode well for team leadership next year.

Will be interesting to see if Martin ever targets the Vuelta as this year looks to have confirmed he is a big Tour contender. Will also be interesting to see if he moves to another team or improves his current terms.

Didn’t have a good tour of Spain a few years back. If he had a team around him he could definitely get a podium finish. Froom still has too much luck and science on his side for Martin to ever beat him.

Clear case of dehydration there.

The reduced time trial kilometers have helped keep the race tight but Froome hasnt looked as invincible in the mountains as in recent years.
Hopefully tomorrow is all action, surely Bardet and Aru have to go for broke ending with a stage win for Martin.