Dublin Senior Ladies Football 2018

Pretty convincing performance from the dubs so far.

You get the feeling Croke Park woukd suit this team even more. Owens & healy’s Pace in that space and faster pitch.

Dublin 3-15 Mayo 1-10

Dublin : Sinead Aherne 1-9 (1-0 pen, 0-5f), Noelle Healy 1-1, Laura McGinley 1-0, Nicole Owens 0-2, Olwen Carey 0-1, Niamh McEvoy 0-1, Lyndsey Davey 0-1

Mayo : Sarah Rowe 1-5 (1-0 pen, 0-2f), Grace Kelly 0-2 (0-1f), Fiona Doherty 0-1, Sinead Cafferky 0-1, Niamh Kelly 0-1

Dominant performance from Dublin. Sinead Aherne from St. Sylvesters named POTM. Ciara Trant made 2 big saves in the second half. it seems like the loss of Rachel Ruddy has been offset somewhat by the return of Siobhan McGrath.

Must be that big yellow thing in the sky?

They were wearing away kit, looked more like Monaghan. That’s my excuse and i’m Sticking to it,

Whatever’s going on in the world of Camogie and Ladies’ Football, I can’t wait for @Ohm to be nominated for resser-in-the-spotlight.

Great win for Dublin today, nonetheless.

I don’t know much about camogie and its not really not on tv. I really enjoys ladies football though

Thanks for the nice words.

I’ve been quite busy but will watch the division 3 and 4 finals sometime Saturday and give my summary.

Division 3 Final

Wexford 3-10 Meath 1-12

Wexford : Catriona Murray 3-5 (0-3f), Bernie Breen 0-2, Niamh Butler, Clara Donnelly, Fiona Rochford 0-1 each

Meath : Stacey Grimes 1-3 (1-0 pen, 0-1f), Niamh Gallogly and Vikki Wall 0-2 each, Katie Byrne, Aoibhin Cleary, Marion Farrelly, Niamh O’Sullivan, Fiona O’Neill 0-1 each

Wexford missed out on promotion to Division 2 last year losing in a replay to Tipperary. They were slight favorites going into this. Meath were hurt not having a fully fit Vikki Wall who won an all-ireland ladies football intermediate club title with Dunboyne. The first ever club all-ireland title in ladies football
at any level. She came on in the second half and kicked 2 nice points. Meath were having trouble winning any of Wexford goalie Mary Rose Kelly’s long kick outs in the first half and it gave Wexford possession at midfield almost every time.

Both teams missed some bad frees. Meath hit a purple patch of 4 points in a row from the likes of captain Niamh O’Sullivan, Fiona O’Neill, and Stacey Grimes. Right before half-time dual Weford star Chlow Fox’s attempt for a point fell short and was tapped back to Ashling Murphy who moved it on quickly to Catriona Murray and she toe-poked it under the Meath keeper leg to Give Wexford a lead going into half time. Wexford should of had a goal earlier through midfielder Bernie Breen who was played straight through but she put her effort wide.

Wexford got an early goal in the 2nd half through Murray once more after a great run up the field by right half back Niamh Moore who was excellent in the second half all through out played the ball to Murray who percisely placed the ball into the bottom right corner of the net to give them a 2-8 to 0-8 lead. Meath got back in the game through a penalty goal from Stacey Grimes and a nice score from left half back Niamh Gallogly but a poor kick from the Meath goalie was intercepted by Murray who blew by the defence and blasted the ball into the top left corner of the net to seal promotion to Division 2 for Wexford once in for all.

POTM - Catriona Murray (Clonee) Despite scoring 3-5 and 3-2 from play she missed a few kickable points from frees.

Wexford held the ball when they needed too and controlled the overall tempo much better than Meath who wanted the game lot more helter-skelter.

Division 4 Final

Wicklow 4-17 Louth 2-8

Wicklow: Marie Kealy 3-3 (0-1f), Jackie Kinch 0-5, Meadhbh Deeney 1-3 (0-1f), Amy Murphy 0-2, Lorna Fusciardi, Laura Hogan, Clodagh Fox, Naoise Baker 0-1 each Report

Louth: Kate Flood 1-3 (0-1f), Lauren Boyle 1-2 (0-1f), Paula Murray, Susan Byrne, Catherine McGlew 0-1 each

This was a mis-match on paper but the Garden County only got going late in the first half. Despite winning by 15 Wicklow kicked 19 wides in total but had twice as many shots as Louth in the 60 minutes.

There was huge difference in quality level between this game and the division 3 final. Wicklow were the far superior team but kicked the ball away umpteen times in the first half. They had an early goal chance through Laura Hogan that was tipped over the bar for a point excellently by Louth keeper Una Pearson. Wicklow got the opening green flag when Foxrock Cabinteely player Laurie Ahern burst straight down the middle of the Louth defence and popped the ball other the top full-forward Marie Kealy who sidestepped around the keeper and rolled the ball into the net. Wicklow controlled play through the 1st half but kept kicking wide after wide. It looked they would only go in at HT with a 5 point lead. However they got their 2nd goal in the final minute of the 1st half to effectovely put the game to bed. Kim Connor’s kickout taken up high on the bounce by Jackie Kinch. She kicked down the left wing to Laura Hogan. Hogan kicked a very short ball to Marie Kealy who offloaded back to Hogan. Hogan then played the ball inside to an unmarked Meadbh Denney who fired into the net. A great team move but bad defending from Louth.

Louth got a lifeline in the 2nd half early on when Rebecca Carr’s effort for a point came of the post and bounced into the path of full-forward Kate Flood who booted the ball off the deck into the net.
Wicklow had an excellent 3rd quarter of the game scoring 2-6 and winning almost every kick out in that span. The 3rd goal for Wicklow a loose ball picked up by Amy Murphy. She poppedit high over the top to Kealy who had an easy finish. Marie Kealy completed her hattrick after a terrible kick out by the the Louth goalie was picked off by Meabh Deeney who moved the ball over to Kealy who finished well. Further points by Lorna Fusciardi (also of Foxrock), Amy Murphy and Jackie Kinch who kicked 5 from play gave Wicklow a very comfortable win. Louth did get a consolation goal after Susan Byrne spotted Lauren Boyle with a kick over the top for Boyle to score but Wicklow could of won by a whole lot more if truth be told.

Far to good or Division 4. They should be competitive in Division 3 next year with a very consisten panel led by halfback captain Sarah Hogan.

POTM - Marie Kealy (Baltinglass) who scored 3-3

HOLY MOSES Donegal 9-21 - Armagh 4-8 in 60 min.

Jesus wept

Can I start a ladies all ireand football thread?

€50 to start a thread. Dunno what that is in dollars. Mods would know.

:joy:

I’m guessing thats a joke?

Work away buddy :+1:t2:

At some point when I’m not sleeping, eating, or watching the world cup I will start it.

What does need its own thread is a Club scene in Dublin Ladies Football. It’s an explosion in numbers recently. Very competitive at the top of adult but even more importantly there are up to 7,8 and 9 divisions at some underage levels. Unprecedented in years gone by,

I can’t find any match reports at all though which is a shame.