Leinster competition formatted like this

2020 LEINSTER U20HC

On a vote, it was decided to use the present format for 2020 as follows:
Knockout - Winner on the Day
A Kilkenny and Wexford - Bye to semi-finals
B Galway and Offaly - Bye to quarter-finals
C. Carlow, Dublin
, Laois, Westmeath and Antrim or Down

Draw for one of the five to qualify for Quarter Finals. Remaining four play for remaining Quarter Final place.

Tier 1: Wed. 17.6.2020
Four of Carlow, Dublin, Laois, Westmeath and Antrim or Down
Tier 2: Wed. 24.6.2020
3. Winner 1 v Winner 2
Tier 3: Wed. 1.7.2020 (Quarter Finals - 2 games)
Galway, Offaly, Winner Tier 2, and Team with Bye from C above
Tier 4: Wed 8.7.2020 (Semi Finals)
Kilkenny, Wexford and 2 Quarter Final Winners
Tier 5: Wed 22.7.2020 (Final)

Note: Games in the earlier rounds may be played on a Saturday if the respective counties are not involved in Senior Inter County Hurling Championship. Draw to be made at Leinster Convention on January, 25

where do the GAA get these competition structures from? Ridiculously complicated.

2 Likes

True…

It’s not great that we are relegated to the weakest group - I assume it’s based on last years results.

The upside is that they won’t be going in cold against teams who have already played.

1 Like

That extra time loss to offaly was costly, some seem to forget we were man down for a good chunk of that game.

Yep - but it was Offaly!

I do think actually there was a decent team in there somewhere last year, but Offaly has played tough games and it was our first - so we never got a chance to find it really.

A draw for one of the bottom seeds to get to the quarters. The other 4 play for one place.
Good lord.
After seeing the minor structure (very good imo), this is just a silly structure.

uhhh there’s six there no?

edit: oh i see now it says antim or down, so they playing off beforehand … ?

Yeah I think so too and I think the big problem last year was that they weren’t fresh.
They had been training before Christmas that year and didn’t play a competitive game until June.
Sometimes less is more and hopefully the mistakes of last year have been learnt.

2 Likes

Also some good players were not available for selection last summer due to exams - Grogan (Crokes) and Dunne (Raheny) and i think one or two others as well.

Squad wise who is in this age category?

Smyth? Dunne Deewin murphy Billy Ryan?

the u17s who got to the all ireland final in 2017 where they lost by 2 point to cork lined out as

Dublin

1. Eddie Gibbons (Kilmacud Crokes)

2. Andrew Dunphy (St Brigid’s)

3. Kevin Burke (Na Fianna)

4. Tommy Kinnane (Naomh Mearnóg)

5. Seán Kinsella (Kilmacud Crokes)

6. Enda O’Donnell (Whitehall Colmcille)

7. Lee Gannon (Whitehall Colmcille)

8. Tom Aherne (Ballinteer St John’s)

9. Mícheál Murphy (Na Fianna)

10. Mark Grogan (Kilmacud Crokes – captain)

11. Billy Ryan (Craobh Chiaráin)

12. Kevin Kirwan (Cuala)

13. Liam Murphy (Cuala)

14. Kevin Desmond (Ballyboden St-Enda’s)

15. Luke McDwyer (Ballyboden St-Enda’s)

Subs

1. Seán Clerkin (St Oliver Plunkett’s Eoghan Ruadh) for Desmond (44)
  2. Liam Dunne (Raheny) for Murphy (51)
  3. Mark Sweeney (St Vincent’s) for Kirwan (53)

Dublin minors in 2018 won Leinster in high scoring final as follows and ultimately were well beaten by Galway (of course) in the AI semi-final

DUBLIN 6-19 KILKENNY 7-12

What an incredible game. Dublin were crowned Leinster minor hurling champions when they defeated Kilkenny by four points in a thrilling goal-fest in O’Moore Park, Portlaoise on Saturday afternoon.

Match Report: https://www.dublingaa.ie/news/minor-hurlers-capture-leinster-mhc-title-in-a-high-scoring-classic

SCORERS – Dublin: L Dunne 2-8 (0-6f, 0-1 ‘65’), L Swan 3-1, C Murray 1-2, D Purcell (0-1f), C Foley 0-3 each, D Leavy, P Christie 0-1 each.

DUBLIN: J Lambert; K Byrne, E Carney, F Murphy; C Hogan, I Ó hEithir, A O’Neill; D Leavy, D Power; C Foley, P Christie, C Murray; L Dunne, L Swan, D Purcell. Subs: C Walsh for Hogan (22), S Fenton for Murray (44), A O’Toole for Christie (53).

Dublin north panel who won leinster in 2018 - some of who are probably available - although Sean Currie is overage unfortunately.

Dublin North

1. Josh Rooney (Naomh Barróg)

2. Jack Fagan (Raheny)

3. Andrew Dunphy (St Brigid’s)

4. Tommy Kinnane (Naomh Mearnóg)

5. David Phelan (St Oliver Plunkett’s-Eoghan Ruadh)

6. Kevin Burke (Na Fianna)

7. Conor Scully (St Oliver Plunkett’s-Eoghan Ruadh)

8. Micheál Murphy (Na Fianna)

9. Sean Foran (Whitehall Colmcille)

10. Sean Clerkin (St Oliver Plunkett’s-Eoghan Ruadh)

11. Lee Gannon (Whitehall Colmcille – captain)

12. Sean Farrelly (Raheny)

13. Conor Berrigan (Erins Isle)

14. Sean Currie (Na Fianna)

15. Cian Derwin (Craobh Chiaráin)

Subs

1. Liam Dunne (Raheny) for Clerkin (half-time)
  2. Enda O’Donnell (Whitehall Colmcille) for Scully (half-time)
  3. Clerkin for Dunne (49)
  4. Billy Ryan (Craobh Chiaráin) for Foran (54)

Scorers for Dublin North: Micheál Murphy 0-7 (0-7f), Sean Currie 1-3, Cian Derwin 0-2, Billy Ryan, Conor Berrigan 0-1 each.

There’s the makings of a good team in there, but i wouldn’t count any chickens at u21 grade, it’s a bollix of a competition format.