Dublinisms

‘Steelers’ - ball bearings really

A ‘grushie’ after weddings…got many a battering in those

Looked in to that one before …it actually started as ‘hard shot’ similar to ‘big shot’ etc but in true Dublin fashion ‘shot’ became ‘chaw’ cos we cant pronounce t’s

“I love my Mum and Dad and my brothers too,
and the groovy way we get along”
“Everytime the slightest little thing goes wrong
Mum starts to sing this familiar song”
"Wait 'till your father gets, until your father gets
Wait 'till your father gets home

That’s a bit spooky, about two days ago I was googling furiously looking for that cartoons name

‘Cauld’

I was walking through Balbriggan on a cool December afternoon about 20 years ago and met my uncle along the way. As we got closer he didn’t say hello, just ‘Cauld’ and kept walking

I’ve had many the “gushie / grushie” debate…it’s a close second to curbs/paths debacle.

A Grushie is flinging a heap of change up into the air between a load of chislers (how more kids werent maimed is a miracle) and letting them fight to the death over it.
Great craic…:slight_smile:

They wouldn’t move for less than a score these days…

…that’s ohminous…

Grushies were always done after a wedding service.

Used to live around the corner from a church and remember hearing that there was a wedding on and legging it round in time for the grushie…

was total mayhem, but you’d go away with enough money for a cool pop & a packet of meanies and a massive shiner that you had to explain to your Ma…:crazy_face:

Very similar memories to mine. Often the rumour would start up and we’d go around to the church and there’d be nothing on. The odd time there was it was total pandemonium as soon as all the 2ps were flung up into the air.
Genuinely I believe you’d be arrested if you threw coins into the middle of a load of kids now.

Oh and it’s grushie

Surprised he didn’t say ‘our’ too. Everyone in balbriggan is our

Was talking to a lad in work (non Dub) about Brian Kerrs commentary. I was trying to explain that to blem it was like lamping it, whereas to have a ging was more like drilling it, and he still didn’t get it. Do they understand plain English at all?

How did they enforce the “no-blemers” rule (never actaully enforced) when playing football in the street or on the green??

Animals the lot of them :relaxed:

There’ll be wigs on the green.
(Going to be a row)

Your Ma has the liver with you.
(Your Ma is annoyed with you)

18h
Ya never heard of a bowler? A tea leaf?

Bowler - ugly girl
Tea leaf - thief

Must be a localized blanchero s.

Would have thought a bowler was a dog. And tea leaf cockney slang

A word unique to Dublin is I believe is Sleveen. have not heard it in a while.Could be used to describe some lad who wont be playing anymore football this summer as his county are gone.

Jameses Street.

Rapid

The a-zoo! The elevenses.