Dublinisms

So you got a visit from Spewan.

I’d say the flicks stopped being used in the 70s or 80s. My mother used to go to the Killester and she would have called it the flicks.

Skill yup thats another one I would have said. Nice one.
Does anyone remember the Lockhards. Lads with a rolled up Hedeld or Press directing you into a parking spot.
The language out of my Dad when they would approach him. Not sure if they were called Lockhards everywhere or just in the city, sorry Town.

Yeah the lockhards , they sometimes wore a peaked cap to give them a bit of an official appearance.

All the best lockhards would wear a cap too, like the old bus drivers ones without the badge.

My parents also walked down Talbot St to Ameiens St station a short time before that bomb.

Left hand Down.

Had to Google Lockhards and found this…

Soccer games had their own language. Three and in. Last man back. Hatching! Keepies uppies.
I’m going in and I’m bringing my ball! Christ- the innocence!

Last man back I still say that.

Hatcher

Some of the language dies too. You can’t scut on the back of the old Buttercrust Van as there are none left!

Probably all the cowboys out there …

I scutched on the back of a Council van in my estate many years ago , fell off and fractured my skull .
Kinda glad that game is no more.

@ProudDub so are you originally from the Mun?

Gift - dog shite

Was walkin home from the bus and stood in a load of gift

“Are ya goin’ ou’ wit yar mot tonigh’?”

The Bohemian cinema was the Flea Pit … first movie Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Yeh, a blem and a ging, great terms!

Just on the grushie thing, my memory was any time change got dropped, or more likely you’d have it in your hand, somebody else sees it and slaps your hand up(from under), and shouts “grushie!!”.

My mother would come home from the “friday shopping in town” around the time of the bombs, and always down N.Earl St/Talbot St last of all to get the train from Connolly. She would also be on Capel St and sometimes Parnell St just before that. She was a bit later than usual that evening. As a young child the black-and-white images of burning cars, destruction, and very heavy news reports didn’t mean a whole lot in terms of perspective, the meaning of death etc but I certainly was largely affected by the general mood of it, the effect on the adults.
Of course growing up in Edenmore in those days prepared one a bit for the darker side of life…