Football V Hurling underage

You need to nip that in the bud by starving it out of him.

:joy::joy: good point well made!
PS - important words there are ‘‘he wants to’’…not saying he can!

If it’s split 50/50 would you not just bring him up for just the football half??

Unless I’m missing something no one is being forced to do anything.

If you forced kids to choose at club level there would be no hurling in Dublin.

Not forcing alan - if after a period of time someone doesn’t want to play one code they shouldn’t have to in my view. I’m all for kids playing 3/4 different sports in their formative years as long as they want to.

If after 2 years someone has decided this isn’t for me that’s fine by me.

the skills offered are diametrically different

It’s also just that bit more difficult to get to the stage where it’s fun, that’s why soccer is so successful, anyone who can walk can kick a ball along the ground.

The lad is 5. This time next week he might hate football and want to join the wwe. They will be interested and uninterested in all sorts. I wouldn’t be giving up hope just yet. As long as he isn’t bet into a computer or tablet at that age you are winning.

I’ve seen you play football @Tayto:sunglasses:

What’s the split 30/45 mins hurling/Football

Does anyone not think it’s mad having these academies for 5 year olds? Back in my day the earliest organised league were U10 with the club and U11 with the school. Surely 7 or 8 is plenty young enough to start them? At least they are a bit bigger and stronger at that stage.

And gone to rugby or soccer already

Some soccer clubs start at 4

Apologies Lone Ranger but I can beat that. I was recently passing Crumlin Hospital when I spotted a sign on a traffic light advertising an Under 3 (three) soccer play school. That to my mind is a form of child abuse.

Glorafied babysitting

I think with most of the so-called academies, most of it is basic movement skills and fun. Hoola hoops, bean-bags, tennis balls etc. Then they introduce the football and hurling. Obviously some kids have a head-start, having practiced with their fathers or brothers and when others judge themselves in this light, they may feel less confident in their own ability. Practice with the little man, tell him that you were dreadful at all sports until you were twelve (or so!) and make sure he knows you’re there for him no matter what. I think it’s a great question and great ‘dilemma’ to have, in a society where so many kids are addicted to screens and won’t leave the house. Keep up the good work!!

His next best mate could love the hurling and he’ll get hooked too (pardon the hurleyism). Or he might just decide himself some day. It looked for a long time like my lad wasn’t going to become a great sportsman like his Dad and uncles but lo and behold he ‘converted’ two years ago and he’s now the star of the Junior Bs at 33 years of age.

At 5 your lad has loads of time. I’d be far more distressed if he started following Man Utd.

They’re not playing matches at that age. They play fun games that introduce some of the skills of the game. It’s all about balance, co-ordination and familiarisation with the ball/sliotar/hurley in the Academies. Things like knocking over cones with a ball, keeping a balloon in the air with a hurl, skipping through a rope ladder. Their a great idea imo and my three kids loved it.

I’d suggest the encouragement rather than enforcement route. My youngest of three had zero interest in hurling in our nursery and always made up an excuse to dodge it once the 45 mins of football was done, helmet too tight, hurl to big, bib the wrong colour etc. I went with the flow and let him off.

I used to bring him out to the park and leave a hurl beside the goal and eventually his curiosity took over. Starting school was also a big help. When his class mates were playing both codes he quickly copped on that he was missing out on a match and a training session every second week.

I didn’t brandish a big stick and it worked. Having retired from football once and hurling twice, he’s now under 9 playing both codes and loving it. They usually get there in the end with a bit of direction and encouragement. No need to panic at this stage.

Thought I’d revive this thread. Had the 4 year old Hurling for the first time tonight. To say he hated it would be an understatement :smiley:

A combination of kids he didn’t know, a helmet on his head, holding a stick and some young fella pulling on his hand as he picked up a ball was too much. He was super hyped up going to the session but came home deflated and emotional. The joys :joy:

Was it outdoors?