Get It Off Your Chest

Fine, she’s non binary (or something)!

1 Like

Our first 2 dogs were rescue dogs from paws. The 1st was a beautifully timid pointer, who as soon as she heard a man’s voice, crouched and pissed on the floor. It took years for her to get used to me, in her last years, she was the most loving thing you could ever meet. Her name was Molly (Malone).

Our 2nd dog, who we got a few months after Molly was a Shepard cross (naturally we called him Sam!). He was very aggressive, and he had burn marks all over his body, where the absolute Cnut who had him before, was putting out cigarettes on him. He had cuts and bruises all over him. The poor dog only knew that defensive actions were his only method, but he was one of the smartest dogs I ever met. He knew within a couple of weeks that we were a loving family, and adjusted so quickly.

We had them for 11 years or so, they both died within a month of each other. We were heartbroken, especially when it coincided with the death of my dad, 2 uncles and a big loss for my family in another personal way. Those 3 months were the worst of our lives. So what to do, but get another dog. 2 years later!

We didn’t go to the charities this time, but in 2015 we got this dog that we were told was going to be put down because he was the runt of the litter. Oh god. He’s a gorgeous mutt, but bless him, he has no intelligence AT ALL. NONE. He knocks the kids over, he eats his own shit, he runs into doors, he sees something he wants and goes for it, no matter how perilous it is to his safety… This dog (Rocky… Do you see a trend here?) will probably mean that we will not get a large dog again. He is such hard work, and having a kid with special needs, means that it will be a long time before we get a dog again. Unless it’s to help the SN child.

So in short, dogs are great, and people who hurt them are cnuts.

Just had to, as the title of this thread says… Thanks for listening.

12 Likes

@Rochey

Great post sir.

3 Likes

I can’t be coping with posts like that the night before an AI final.

2 Likes

My lads a 10 month old short haired pointer ( no issues) absolute pet , he has one brown eye one blue , his name is Bowie

3 Likes

Enjoy the mutt Damo. They are so way more loyal than humans. Treat them nice, they’ll love you unconditionally! Deadly

I still give a monthly donation in an ex from about 3 years agos name… I think she still gets letters updating her about how the dog I sponsor is doing… I must change that :joy::joy:

7 Likes

That’s brilliant!!!

Actually in relation to above, the dog I first sponsored 3 years ago unfortunately got sick and died and I got a letter from dogs trust to let me know, but in that letter they basically said, “look we know you’re sponsoring this dog for someone else, so we haven’t told them what happened to the dog we’ve just said there’s a new dog requiring sponsorship”, it’s up to you if you want to let them know the real reason” and it’s such a small thing but I really had such respect for them doing that. I’m sure plenty of people sponsor dogs for kids etc and that would be an awful letter for a kid to recieve!

2 Likes

This is where Dog Trust send dogs to be put down( Ashtown Pound ) . I’m sure they are a great organisation but let’s not sweep this under the rug .

I think dogs can be a massive help for people with mental health issues.
It’s amazing how they are trained to assist people suffering with poor or no eyesight, epilepsy, autism, etc and are now being used in some instances to detect cancer in humans. I also can never get enough of seeing “working” dogs - police dogs, customs dogs, sheepdogs,etc.

1 Like

Don’t forget in a nightclub 3 in the morning :kissing_heart:
Seriously great post I get a train into Pearse station everyday and there’s a blind chap with the most gorgeous Labrador you have ever seen . calmest canine on the planet , have never gone near the dog as its a working dog , but the amount of times I’ve want to bend down and pet the bloody thing , amazing animals your right

1 Like

Ye don’t get rte in prison in england right?

In relation to Gareth Thomas announcing he’s HIV Positive

Absolutely vile immoral bastards. The Sun or the Daily Heil would be my bet

3 Likes

They are not fit to lace his boots.

That’s disgusting. Surely to God he has a good legal case against the scum?

I’d hope so. Would like to think it’s very close to something like blackmail

Surely illegal to disclose someone’s medical information like that?

That’s what I meant. Has to be illegal.

Unless they got it from A. an unidentifed source (and media can withhold as far as I understand for reasons that we all know) or B. somebody who knows Gareth (not a medical employee).