Greatest Dublin Manager Of All Time

• Kevin Heffernan
  • Jim Gavin
  • Tom “Tommy” Carr :joy:

0 voters

Oh FFS… that’s like being asked who is the best looking Resser !

How in the name of God is a body supposed to answer that?

Different eras of course, so comparisons are difficult, but Jim has taken it to a new level, every angle covered, and he’s also somewhat of a lucky general, which according to Napolean, is the most important trait.

What Jim has done wouldn’t have been possible without Heffo. That man saved the gaa in dublin in 70s and laid the foundations for everything that came after. He will always be the greatest.

3 Likes

If we’re measuring it on success, there’s no debate whatsoever. Gavin is streets ahead of everyone else ( and his current % win record will probably never be beaten by any manager)

After that it becomes subjective to what ‘great’ means to people and often a popularity contest. People will have differing opinions, probably depending on how old you are.

1 Like

:sunglasses:

I really should have added Pat Gilroy as well …

4 Likes

'Zactly.

Greatest isn’t just about the results on the scoreboard. It’s the legacy you leave. Heffo created greatness out of nothing. Gavin never had to start from Ground Zero the way Heffo did. He’ll always be Number 1.

2 Likes

Why is Tom Carr on the list instead of Pat Gilroy?

1 Like

Kevin also had to contend with some of the best teams/players of all time in his career. Unlike the some of the whingers that pass for county teams these days. But as others have noted, different eras. Hard to compare.

Gavin the best, Heffo most important. Both contributing to us being the greatest.

4 Likes

Sweet divinity. Talk about playing Devil’s advocate!

How long is that poll gonna be open for? Making a decision could take us a while…

Here’s a question for ya . If the Dublin team of say '73 onwards had been of the same age profile of the Kerry team of '75 , who ends up with 8 All Ireland’s between let’s say '74 & '86 .

1 Like

Kevin was also not handed an intact squad who won the All Ireland the year before he took over. Gavin was. Heffo literally is the alchemist who magic’d up gold dust from nothing & has been sprinkling it over us from above ever since.

Gosh. That does be fierce poetical sounding fer 8 o’clock of a Thursday morning.

2 Likes

I really think Gilroy is not getting enough credit here tbh.

1 Like

Gosh, I didn’t know polls showed which way you voted!! :shushing_face:

I went with Heffo for the reasons out lined by others. Jim Gavin’s success is extraordinary but there was an All Ireland winning team in place to work from. Heffo came from nowhere and had to contend with what was - until relatively recently - the greatest team of all time, and still brought great success.

The story of Keaveney being brought back after retirement - a story I love - is just one example of how he had to be so creative.

3 Likes

No sign of voldemort.

No Dr. Pat?
On a related note would anyone know where I can find a list of the Dublin managers and years they served from 1884 to present.

Brendan Quinn was the first generally recognised coach. Was involved from the 1940s to the 50s. Heffo seemed to have been the dominant figure even in the early 60s and influenced a lot of dual players to concentrate on football after 1961.

Did likes of Down and Galway in 60s even have a recognised manager? No idea who was there before 1974 other than a group of selectors. Jim Boggan was definitely the first hurling manager and he and others over seniors had been with under 21s at end of 60s and start of 70s.

2 Likes

Thanks for that.
I thought my use of the word manager might have been stretching it pre the 1940s or so.
I sat down one night to compile a list of names and dates but thats a work yet to be completed.