Irish Politics

I think corporation tax is a totally different matter to personal tax. The more you tax a company the more you limit it’s ability to expand and create. Fair enough, that might not hold on the mega billions world of Apple, but there isn’t a whole heap of them.

No one actually benefits from a company making money. It is very, very hard to get money out of a profitable company without paying a fortune in tax. So once a government do tax the money they are either a) just reducing what they would get anyway when the directors go to take the money or b) hampering the ability of the company to expand.

Yes, it’s different when the money isn’t actually really earned in Ireland. But in that case I would just treat it as every cent got is a bonus and not worry about what we don’t get.

Ill give up me Hill ticket, if yis set the 6 countys free

We have the right to make our own tax laws. And to vote in and out parties to do the same. Or would you prefer Brussels to do it for us and see how that goes?

Not what I have read.

There are so many untrue assertions in your post that I don’t even know where to start:

1- ‘The more you tax a company the more you limit it’s ability to expand and create’
(Absolute bollocks.)

2- ’ Fair enough, that might not hold on the mega billions world of Apple’
,(You explaining that initial post was bollocks)

1. ‘No one actually benefits from a company making money’
    (Bollocks)

2. ‘It is very, very hard to get money out of a profitable company without paying a fortune in tax’
    (Utter bollocks)

3. ‘So once a government do tax the money they are either a) just reducing what they would get anyway when the directors go to take the money or b) hampering the ability of the company to expand’
    (Bollocks)

4. ‘But in that case I would just treat it as every cent got is a bonus and not worry about what we don’t get’
    (Bollocks)

Sorry chief. There are times when you come out with awful nonsense. This was one of those times. I apologise for my rudeness etc.

TAX HAVEN. TAX HAVEN. Can you read that slowly? We are a TAX HAVEN.

Nah, that’s too much in all honesty, forget about it.

On point 4 it is very difficult to get the money out of a company into an individuals hands without paying a significant amount of tax.

Is “absolute bollocks” more or less bollocks than “utter bollocks” ?

1 Like

It absolutely is. My company operates in four countries / two continents and there is no where is it possible to extract money other then in wages. So even though I took big risks to try to grow something, the profits aren’t actually mine. They are the companies. In most cases (unless you can access a cheap financial source) if it works out well the profits are corporation profits. If it doesn’t work out well, the losses are personal.

But sure, what would I know, I am only talking bollocks (pure, utter, complete - delete as appropriate!).

3 Likes

What’s your point exactly?

If you don’t like it vote for the parties who will change it. I’m not prepared to let the EU what is what to do.

Two words. Slowly. TAX HAVEN.

R[quote=“Iomaint, post:6601, topic:1523, full:true”]
Two words. Slowly. TAX HAVEN.
[/quote]

You have proven above you don’t know how to debate it civilly. Usually resorting to capital letters is the final sign. Yet again here an interesting topic gets killed by the inability to debate.

2 Likes

Ok let’s just say this is true (it’s not) can you explain why that’s a bad thing?? What harm has it done to this country??? Cos as far as I can see all our corpo tax rates have done is provide a hell of a lot of employment to Irish people.

1 Like

So to be clear your argument is the governments do not need to abide by treaty and legal obligations they sign up to and no one has the right to point this out.
Sound like a rogue state to me.

3 Likes

It’s very hard to spot the difference! :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Regarding tax and multinational companies, a few points. Some major corporations locate to Ireland and produce goods here. Many more do on paper but produce nothing. Pretty much all do so, or originally did so, for tax reasons. Haughey and McSharry actually planned this, when they set up the IFSC. Essentially we give them sites and ‘charge’ them little once they come here.

Since that time we have done well out of it in terms of jobs but have bent over backwards in other ways, to the point that we are seen, all over the world, as a tax haven. These corporations find the gaps in the taxation laws of different countries to pay very little tax. They call it avoidance. The E.U. sees it as evasion. Whither or which, it cannot continue. It is terribly wrong and is depriving states of billions, while further enriching a small few people. We cannot permit this ad infinitum. No country could. The other point is that these companies are some of the biggest polluters in the country.

Fact is, we are in thrall to these rich corporations and now rely far too much on them as employers. Meanwhile companies like Waterford Crystal were let die. This is neoliberalism at work. We need to move away from it and start developing different, more sustainable forms of employment. The E.U. is perfectly right to force these companies to pay tax.

It ceases to be a debate when any counter point is dismissed as bollocks. So discuss among yourself there and let the rest of us know when you are finished.

2 Likes

Ah FFS lads, just before this game, of all games, would yis ever just LEAVE IT BLEEDIN OU’!!

1 Like