Stephen Cluxton - legend

I’ll let this start it. But tell of any anecdotes, fav moments, what he means to you and where he ranks in the all time greats.

1 Like

100 Championship matches is an incredible achievement. Captain of 4 consecutive champions. 6 All Ireland medals. Changed the game of Gaelic Football forever. Gentleman,scholar,great Dubliner and the greatest goalkeeper in the history of the game. Class act. We are blessed to have him.

9 Likes

Jaysus!

He started off as third choice on Dublin minor team in 99. Was behind Vinny Galvin(Fingallians) and Eanna O’Reilly(Ballyboughal went on to play for St Margarets). Got in for Leinster final replay against Wexford after Galvin had nightmare in Leinster final and hasn’t looked back since.

2 Likes

That was the same minor team in 1999 that gave us Alan Brogan. Not a bad return!

1 Like

Paul Casey and Conal Keaney were on that team too.

2 Likes

The most unassuming legend on this Island, the best Goalkeeper ever to play the game.

I am a lucky man to have met and seen such a hero.

2 Likes

Watch Cluxton in 5:34 and John O’Leary 2:09. 2 great goalkeepers who similarly read there was danger. Probably be red carded now :joy::joy:

The biggest cog in the wheel of our recent 6 sams. Some might differ but if i had to pick one it would be stevo. The antithesis of the attention-seeking soccer clown. A genuine gael. Could realistically play 120 champo for the dubs. Spare a thought for evan!

Oooooh that’s a professional foul …what an absolute prick.

2 Likes

He was at me brothers 21st a long time ago, hung out with Jeff Hendricks brothers. A very young whipper snappers then.

1 Like

Once decked Jason McAteer.

I mean, what’s not to love?

8 Likes

I can never watch this too much…Remember how you felt AT THE TIME?

5 Likes

In all honesty…shock and disbelief.

Probably because of the manner of the win & that it was against Kerry. All the drama. The build up. The hype. Kev Mc’s goal. Clucko’s point. Kerry’s arrogance lying in tatters at their feet. It was almost too much to take in, in the first 5 or 10 minutes after the final whistle

The joy came later. But stunned incredulity at what we’d just witnessed was definitely first.

3 Likes

Still haven’t got over it. Greatest day ever for me in Croke park. When I hear black eyed peas I just want to hop around the kip. The hill shook that day. Fucking shook!

5 Likes

I still get the butterflies watching that video…And Stevo doesn’t let us down…EVERY TIME :smile:

2 Likes

I’m terrified that one of these days he’ll actually miss. :laughing:

2 Likes

Oh yeah…Forgot to mention that there were tears, thought my head was going to explode, time and money meant nothing, I forgot my name and the fact that I had a family and a job, I was caught in a moment of time that just went on and on and on.

Watched the game over and over …and still do.

3 Likes

We all where. Still are.

Am almost embarrassed to admit this, but I didn’t let myself get mega excited when he kicked the free. I was convinced Kerry would be given the chance to level it down the other end & that knowing them, they probably would. Think Donaghy’s monster of a point ( just after Berno put us ahead a few minutes before) is what put the frighteners on me & stopped me getting too carried away. Can still remember my shock when the ref blew it up when he did.

2 Likes