The best of Tyrone....plays the best of Dublin

No…not football.

Just hijacking this forum to big up the kids from St Pat’s Academy putting in a gold performance of Juno and the Paycock by Sean O’Casey.

And what a story. We read the trilogy at school - the only books I enjoyed reading in English. The poverty, wit, history, dark humour, sadness…even then I loved them. It wasn’t like a school book at all.

It was funny listening to Tyrone kids putting on a Dublin accent - but I don’t think you could do the play any other way.

@Rochey You’re a man for the acting? Wonder what you’d have made of the acting and dub accent. I’d say O’Casey plays must be a must in Dublin.

2 Likes

Diesel-launderer and lover of dirty French books…with lots of pictures. You, sir, are a true Renaissance Man.

4 Likes

I’ve a nose for good diesel the way a French man does for wine.

Talking of culture…

In the play…Juno would say ‘whisht’.

Until tonight I thought that was an old fashioned northern word. As in whisht…would you keep quiet.

Do ye Dubs still say whisht?

1 Like

There was a feature on radio Ulster last week about books that had an impact on you.

Mine are S O’Casey’s trilogy…and the Butcher Boy. The rest are IT geek books.

Even though Casey wrote these books nearly 100 yrs ago - tonight I got thinking about that grim humour and observations on Irish life probably influenced Roddy Doyle and Patrick McCabe. Even Mrs Browns boys.

1 Like

Far from a thespian I was rared!

I do enjoy threading the boards!

Honestly, I do enjoy a good play and have been involved in production of some very amateur stuff, but watching it cone together is most rewarding!

Sounds like a great job done UTD, had you younglings involved? As for whisht, I’ve heard it used in Dublin by ould Dubs, so I’d say it’s an island wide term…

1 Like

My kids weren’t involved - just me and the wife.

But as someone who can’t act - I’m always impressed at these amateur productions.

The amount of people involved behind the scenes, rehearsals, all volunteering…it’s something else.

And to do the Dublin accents so well (for me anyways) and dialogue of the play is incredible. Takes some courage and skill to go on stage.

On a side note. One of the school kids was Polish. He speaks with a Tyrone accent, putting on a Dublin one…playing a part in a famous play set in a seismic event in Irish history. Great to see that integration in less than a generation

1 Like

I suppose our two visits in the last two Summers have honed your Dub accents. I’d imagine the cast were well versed in
‘Yis dirty bleedin’ basterds’
‘G’wan Dermo ya good thing’
‘Jaysus the pint here is cat’
‘She’d a face like the back of a bus’ etc

1 Like

Very good!

Also…

‘Are you sure this diesel is legit?’
‘Thanks - these magic money trees you sold me will be a great job’
‘Thanks for exchanging these Euro for those lovely £20 Northern Bank notes’

Last night you could hear the Dublin accent drop at times. But overall I was v impressed. Reckon a native Dub would spot the mistakes.

3 Likes

I also have always loved the trilogy Daller, one of the few things in taught literature my impatient young mind could stick with back in the day.
Have you not read Joyce’s ‘Dubliners’? Think you’ll like.

Here is some Res Dubs trivia for ya @upthedall.

If a body was inclined to go on a perambulation to St John’s C of I Church on the North Strand & look up the baptismal records of 1899, you’d see one Johnnie Cassidy of nearby Fitzroy Avenue, down as Godfather to a young lass born on December 3rd of that year. Johnnie/Jack Cassidy would go on to become Sean O’Casey. The wee lass was my grandmother.

Her father was Casey’s best friend and later landlord. He let ‘Uncle Jack’ live pretty much rent free in the row of houses he owned, as they were both clinically blind, by modern definitions. My grandmother remembered reading the evening newspaper to the pair of them by firelight, as they didn’t have one good eye between them.

4 Likes

I’ve heard of it…but never read it.

Even if books aren’t peoples thing - I always think they’ll love the trilogy by Sean O’Casey.

The plays are easy to relate to, full of brilliant dialogue, wit and humour. Its a warts and all look into a very different Ireland. I can’t do it justice.

Just the genius of how someone can grab a blank piece of paper…and write a play. How do you do that?

Friends of ours found out recently their son’s girlfriend is expecting. The mother is devastated.

They were at the play the other night and my wife said she wondered what they thought of the scene where Mary announces she’s pregnant. Somethings never change.

That’s some claim to history…plus the fact she can recall stories with him. Even better…reading to them.

In the play they mentioned blowing out the candles in case the house set fire. No wonder their eyes were shot.

Rathmines was mentioned a few times (opposite side to North Strand I’m guessing)?

I was only there a few weeks ago and it strikes me as being affluent in its day. Even now it feels different with the cafes and grand buildings. Grace Gifford was from there.

Maybe it was a hang out for the scholarly, bohemian types.

1 Like

Yep, it a cool association to have. Nana was related to Major John McBride too - her mother was either his niece or his first cousin, I forget which. I used to give the English and History teachers a hard time in school when they they were bangin’ on about what a wanker McBride was, courtesy of all the lovey dovey WB Yeats poems about Maude Gonne. I would stick up for him, out of sheer pig iron if nothing else. And there wasn’t much they could say really, could they? :innocent:

1 Like

That’s quite a history there…I’d love to do that ‘Who Do you think you are’ show.

My great granny was a Dublin woman. Not sure how they met or why they came up here.

Well if she was a Dub, she wasn’t a great granny. She was a fanfcukingtabulous granny !

2 Likes

Well…there’s a black sheep in every family!

We have an A1 sized family tree kicking about.

Her surname was Howley…but I don’t know a single relative with that name.

I’m sure there must be some far out relatives still in Dublin. I live in hope one of them is an eccentric millionaire who wants to adopt a son.

You’re fairly Howley too betimes.

You’ll need to translate your Dublin-ese!

It was hard enough tuning the ears into the Dublin accent last night.

Maybe she’s related to current Lusk (and hopefully future Dublin) player Cormac Howley! Although his dad is from Sligo, so maybe the wrong Howleys!

Well if Cormac Howley is worth a few quid, has a property portfolio, filling stations, or just involved in lucrative cross-border smuggling - tell him his long lost cousin is looking him!

Knowing my luck…my Dublin relatives are banged up in Mountjoy on some Ponzi scheme.

1 Like