All Things Horseracing

Both very lightly raced for their age. I think Minella has run less than 20 times. Stattler at a trip way too short and giving weight. If WP didn’t train him no way he was that price.
Agree with Uroy that the 3rd makes the form look poor

I’d still see Minella maybe winning in Gowran still but best days are in the rearview most likely. Though reading post race ot looks like straight to Prestbury Park. Can still hit the frame there

Good calling of the relkeel Uroy and I’d say a moderate bunch

1 Like

He does always run his best race of the season at Cheltenham. But it looks like it’ll be a strong renewal this season with Galopin Des Champs, L’Homme Press and a hopefully recovered A Plus Tard in it. If he were mine I’d be tempted to have a crack at the Stayers’ Hurdle, it’s definitely more winnable.

If today’s Racing is a barometer of how my punting is to pan out for the next 364 days then doom and gloom is on the way. There’ll be days like this.

Confirmation this morning that Jack Kennedy suffered a broken leg in his fall at Naas yesterday. Absolutely gutting for him, couldn’t have happened at a worse time. Usual recovery period would be about 4 months which would see him back a week or two after the Punchestown Festival has brought the curtain down on the NH season, by which time he’ll have missed the DRF, Cheltenham, Aintree and Punchestown itself. It looked like he was finally getting a decent injury free run at the right time of the season and was on top of his game, as I said in my post before Christmas, the best around right now IMO. Lad must be feeling he’s cursed at this stage, such a talent but plagued with injuries.

2 Likes

No sport is as hard injury wise… I hoped he had used up all his bad luck to date. Elliott sounded very downbeat about the likely injury post racing

1 Like

Plenty of chat that Kennedy will be back before Cheltenham, a small bit of positivity.

1 Like

9 weeks for a broken leg. Be miracle territory unfortunately for the poor lad

1 Like

Davy Russel subbing back in.

1 Like

Didn’t see that one coming. Just hope he gets out again in one piece, he’d regret it the rest of his life if he went out on an injury now.

2 Likes

The gods of gambling have giveth and taketh since my last post.

2 of the antepost bets I had on Cheltenham are dead in the water and the other is looking dodgy. Firstly L’Homme Presse, who I backed at 12/1 for this year’s Gold Cup after he won last year’s Sun Alliance (or whatever it’s called these days), was ruled out of Cheltenham. Then the declarations for the Champion Hurdle were issued without Teahupoo, on whom I’d taken an each way flyer at 66/1, on that list. He’s being aimed at the Stayers’ now, which looks a direct consequence of Bob Olinger’s failure to stay in the Christmas Hurdle at Leopardstown, as he’s now Robcor’s entry in the CH. Wrong move for the Elliott horse IMO, world of a difference between 2m3f around Fairyhouse and 3 Miles around the New Course at Cheltenham. Then last week Mullins declared Klassical Dream had had a setback and was no more than 50/50 for Cheltenham. I’m not quite abandoning hope there as we’ve seen Lazarus jobs from Closutton in the past, remember Vautour was supposed to be working poorly before bolting up in the Ryanair. Them’s the risks you take with antepost punting, not gonna cry over spilt milk.

On the credit side, I had a huge slice of luck in the Kinloch Brae (officially the Horse & Jockey Hotel Chase) yesterday. Couldn’t see Fakir D’Oudairies being beaten, so had a fairly hefty bet on him but bottom weight Haut En Couleurs looked to truly have his number before suffering a luckless fall at the last – actually jumped the fence fine but his front legs gave way. Thankfully both the horse and jockey got up to fight another day. Jammiest winner I’ve had for a long time. Part of me doesn’t like to be rewarded for judging a race wrongly but you’ve got to take the swings with the roundabouts in this game.

2 Likes

Take what you get I’d say. Was sweet on Fakir myself but left it as felt HEC would give him his fill.

Interesting renewal of the Limestone Lad (2.42) at Naas today featuring a pair of horses with big reputations but serious questions to answer.
Echoes In Rain has everything in her favour here and really ought to be winning. But until she learns to settle better in her races she’ll always be capable of beating herself, so looks a dodgy betting proposition at 8/11.
It’s answers on a postcard as to what Bob Olinger really wants these days, I’ve heard a few good judges suggest he may have a physical issue that’s ailing him, so won’t be carrying my money. Meet And Greet ran a belter to place in the Grade 1 Christmas Hurdle behind Home By The Lee but that was over 3 miles, I don’t see him repeating that over an extended 1m 7f.
With all that uncertainty, the one reliable contender is the rock solid top weight Darasso, who always seems to give his running be it over hurdles or fences. At 16/1 I make him a decent each way bet here in a race he won last year.

Cracking interview with Rich Ricci on Sky Racing , comes across as a decent fella