Best Dublin team from players I have seen in blue

Being at home and today’s announcement of the All Stars has got me thinking about a team of the best Dublin players I have seen since I began following the Boys in Blue back in the early 70s.
This is my selection,

1. Stephen Cluxton.
  2. Mick Holden. 3. Rory O’Carroll. 4. Robbie Kelleher.
  3. James McCarthy. 6. Kevin Moran. 7.Paul Curran.
  4. Brian Mullins. 9. Brian Fenton.
  5. Diarmuid Connolly. 11. Ciaran Kilkenny. 12. David Hickey.
  6. Dean Rock. 14. Jimmy Keaveney. 15. Anton O’Toole.

My principal subs would include, in the backs, Paddy Christie, Mick Kennedy and Mick Fitzsimons, at midfield, Bernard Brogan senior and Brian Howard. In the forwards, Ciaran Duff, Con O’Callaghan and Alan Brogan.

4 Likes

Good effort I’d have to think about it long n hard , there’s the players I saw aged 6 to 13 but what do you really know about the game at that age , many will give their age away on here if the criteria was you seen them which I assume to mean in the flesh

I’m going from my teenage years to date and it’s based on players I have actually seen perform live in games I was at which was the vast majority of league and championship over the years.
Just realised to day that it’s 12 months this weekend since I was last in Croker. Du blin v Wexford and Donegal. The last time I was that long without being at a Dublin match was 1969.

Just noticed that it’s numbered above 1 to 6 on right hand side. Don’t know how that happened it should be 1,2,5,8,10 and 13.

4 Likes

Mick Holden, one of my favourite players ever to pull on a GAA jersey, let alone a Dublin jersey. But I would not rate him ahead of his clubmate, Fitzy. In fact, I would rate Phily ahead of Mick Holden.
Depending on how the next 4 or 5 years work out, it may be nigh on impossible to leave out Con and/or Howard. I am struggling to leave them out as it is right now.
Good idea for a thread, however. Will provide endless debate and anecdotes. Nothing will be agreed!!

Be a brave man not to put Cluxton in goal notwithstanding Cullen and O Leary were excellent players

Keith Barr instead of Kevin Moran.

He was tougher and scored several crucial goals of the kind of the one Moran missed in the early part of the 76 final.

Keith cost us an All-Ireland in '89. I’d have Heary, Cian and Jack Mc each ahead of Barr.

1 Like

If Con stopped playing tomorrow (God forbid) he would automatically become one of the top players to have pulled on a sky blue and navy jersey in my lifetime.
The fact that he is still playing somehow takes away from the awesome player he is.
He is one of our greatest ever ball players (both sizes).

3 Likes

John O’Leary cost us that match. (Giving away two stupid penos)

Barr was concussed with a broken jaw when he got sent off, after being decked by Dinny Allen.

Allen should’ve been redded too.

2 Likes

Dinny saluted the hill as well iirc. Dublin started off great , Barr goal and then it pissed down and went awry from there.

1 Like

I remember reading once that the victor in dublin v cork championship matches has always gone onto win sam…is that the case? First dubs game in croker was 83 semi…fond memories of that season but ive never checked prior to then

1 Like

Well 74, 83,89, 95,2010,2013, 2019 it’s true. Prior to that I m not sure . @Stato82 may know more .

Jimmy and Dean in the same team? I never saw Jimmy play in the flesh, but I can see his great footwork and accuracy in the footage. I would still have to drop one of those two for Bernard jnr for the sake of balance.

1 Like

Jimmy was a super player … but the lazy ignoramus narrative was always more about his body shape… he was truly magnificient … tip toed over muddy pitches with a ballet dancer’s grace and a consistent score getter.
And all of that in a second coming as a player.

4 Likes

:+1: Though it was Vinny who got the goal.

1 Like

As much as I like Keith Barr, he is not only not in the top 25 Dubs but he is not even in the top 3 CBS!!!

1 Like

You are correct it was indeed Vinny. Had to get off the couch to check in the Gerry Carroll book - not that I doubted you of course :grinning:. Funny I assumed for years now that KB had scored the goal in that game.

1 Like

Was it not in the drawn game in 83 that Dinny Allen "saluted’ an Cnoc?

3 Likes

Probably, at this stage I don t seem to have an accurate recollection of the Dublin - Cork games I was at !

1 Like

God I still remember the equalising goal well anyway :smile: a thing of beauty!

1 Like