Best young Dublin coaches

Thinking ahead to say 5 years time what Dublin born coaches are out there that could step up to the county job? I know some clubs have lads in from various counties training them but born and bred Dubs capable of stepping up in the next few years? Or are most clubs managed and coached by country lads?

Paul O Brien from Crumlin has a fair bit of experience now. Also Joe Fortune. Is Gearóid Ó Riain still trucking with Crokes?

Gearóid coaching Dubs Minors

Oh that’s right! Thanks chief. (Early onset…!)

1 Like

Yeah … use of the word ‘trucking’ was also troubling …

Johny McGlynn seems to be getting good results from Thomas Davis. Is he still considered young? Probably pushing on 40 at this stage…

Aodan de Paor seems to have done a good job with Col Eoin and is now managing Crokes seniors.

1 Like

…and a far more economical option than Dalo?

I’m sure most would be :joy:

It is a long drive from kilrush to kilmacud tbf …

1 Like

Can’t agree , gets his mind set on a player and that’s that ,does surround himself with good coaches who do a savage amount of the donkey work but ultimately he’s very stubborn

What I should add in Paul’s defence he is young , he knows his stuff , is passionate and could well become a top coach

I just said that they had a bit of experience!

Recent ones I know off the top of my head:

Snr. A:

Aodhan De Paor - Crokes
Ger Ryan & Hedgo - Ciaran’s
Ronan Fallon - St. Vincent’s
Joe Fortune - Ballyboden (not sure if Joe was born & reared in Dublin?)
Johnny McGlynn - TDavis
Johnny McGurk - St. Brigids
Derek Brennan - Plunketts

Snr. B:

Keith Horgan - NBarrog
Davy Kane - Clontarf
Emmett Carroll - Castleknock & Ballyboden
Brian McCabe - Erins Isle
Fergal McDonagh - Towers

Probably missing a good few but all I can think of at the moment who are born & bred Dubs.

Joe Fortune is a Wexford man

2 Likes

How is Emmett Carroll managing to do both Castleknock and Boden? They would play at the same time. Or are you just stating that he is from Ballyboden?

Blockquote

I know he was training the Ballyboden Minor team aswell for the last 2 years. Not sure if he’s involved this year.

Is Martin Quilty involved with Na Fianna?

Quilty as charged.

1 Like

Johnny Kenny has been doing Boden Minors for last couple years.