Bloody Sunday 1920

There will be no poppies for the 19 players and supporters murdered but we wil remember them and that horrible day.

7 Likes

20 posts were merged into an existing topic: Bloody Sunday 2020

There will be no poppies for the 19 players and supporters murdered but we wil remember them and that horrible day.

7 Likes

7 Likes

There is a good account of this in Dominic Price’s book about Dublin Brigade “We Bled Together”. IRA were expecting reprisals after the execution of the Castle agents that morning and Seán Russell tried to persuade Croke Park to cancel the match as it was going to be biggest crowd in the city, and likely target for the Auxies.

GAA said it was too late as large numbers were already on their way. Was mad day. Over 30 people killed including Dublin Brigade OC Dick McKee from Finglas who was arrested and tortured early that morning and his body dumped. McKee would have known a lot of the details about the operation against the Brits so obviously died without revealing anything.

1 Like

I am not on twitter. Someone should forward that Cian Murphy tweet onto Dr Liam Fox.

1 Like

The bloodied field by Michael foley, a great book devoted entirely to the day.

3 Likes

Sad that there are no living descendants of Billy Scott around today to see him remembered.

1 Like

I wonder is this man still alive?

I very much doubt it. If he had any recall at all he would have to be 5/6 which would leave him well past the 100 at this stage. That RTE piece is 22 years old and he is well in his 80s there.

Bill Scott is a very sad case. He only lived a stone’s throw away in Fitzroy Avenue.

He died in 1991. Here’s a link to a written interview with him.

http://www.friendsoftipperaryfootball.com/2017/08/22/bill-ryan-laha-bloody-sunday/

1 Like

Looks like an interesting programme. And match, I presume between Dublin and Tipp on November 21 next year.

Hopefully it will be big event. Was seminal moment in history of country and GAA.

7 Likes

Yep it says it in the article :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Excellent idea, to my own shame i didn’t until recently know all the details of the supporters killed that day.

3 Likes

God. My nana was from Fitzroy Avenue. She would have been 19 on Bloody Sunday. Wonder if she knew the school boy killed. She must have. It’s not a long road.

2 Likes

Worth a read…

3 Likes

All Cups played for in the Celtic Challenge are named after people shot on Bloody Sunday.

1 Like

I read somewhere that Seán Russell called to the ground to ask that game be called off, but they decided that as crowds were already coming that it was too late. It was obvious target for revenge attack.

There was talk the previous day that there’d be trouble at the match, there’s an account of one of the tipp players of the journey up on the train, smoking fags and playing cards, there was some hassle on the train and the players ejected someone via a window I think