Bloody Sunday 1920

There will be no poppies for the 19 players and supporters murdered but we wil remember them and that horrible day.

7 Likes

There is a good account of this in Dominic Price’s book about Dublin Brigade “We Bled Together”. IRA were expecting reprisals after the execution of the Castle agents that morning and Seán Russell tried to persuade Croke Park to cancel the match as it was going to be biggest crowd in the city, and likely target for the Auxies.

GAA said it was too late as large numbers were already on their way. Was mad day. Over 30 people killed including Dublin Brigade OC Dick McKee from Finglas who was arrested and tortured early that morning and his body dumped. McKee would have known a lot of the details about the operation against the Brits so obviously died without revealing anything.

1 Like

I am not on twitter. Someone should forward that Cian Murphy tweet onto Dr Liam Fox.

1 Like

The bloodied field by Michael foley, a great book devoted entirely to the day.

3 Likes

Sad that there are no living descendants of Billy Scott around today to see him remembered.

1 Like

I wonder is this man still alive?

I very much doubt it. If he had any recall at all he would have to be 5/6 which would leave him well past the 100 at this stage. That RTE piece is 22 years old and he is well in his 80s there.

Bill Scott is a very sad case. He only lived a stone’s throw away in Fitzroy Avenue.

He died in 1991. Here’s a link to a written interview with him.

http://www.friendsoftipperaryfootball.com/2017/08/22/bill-ryan-laha-bloody-sunday/

1 Like

Was doing a bit of reading about Bloody Sunday the other day, and came across the story of one of the victims, James Burke from Windy Arbour.

I read that he is buried in St Nahi’s graveyard in Dundrum village, so I decided on a whim to see if I could find his grave.

After nearly breaking my neck climbing the wall in after hours,I found it! It’s in pretty poor condition at this stage. Would be great if the GAA spruced it up a bit maybe, especially with the commemoration coming up.

Anyway, I took a photo of it, glad I found it in the end.

8 Likes

James Burke

Aged 44 Years

James Burke lived in Windy Arbour and worked in Terenure Laundry. He was married to Annie and they had five children. He was caught in the crush as spectators fled towards the Croke Park exits. James’ death was recorded as being due to shock and heart failure.
His body was formally identified by his wife Annie at Jervis Street Hospital. James is buried in Churchtown.

It says on the gaa website that he was 44, but his grave says 45

2 Likes

@turbo that’s excellent. Fair play to you for finding it. I sometimes visit a relation very close by so I must drop in next time myself.

You could tweet it at @officialGAA. It’d be good to get a conversation started about B100dy Sunday with just over 8 weeks until the centenary.

2 Likes

@Tayto Any way of linking this thread and Bloody Sunday 2020, some very good stuff on both.

https://www.gaa.ie/bloodysunday

Site is brilliant, they’ve started lectures in Croker from last week covering various aspects of Ireland around Bloody Sunday.

1 Like

Cheers. I’m not on twitter myself, but if anyone wants to tweet it on, feel free to do so.

Didn’t realise there was an updated thread on this topic. just searched Bloody Sunday and this thread came up

Me neither. I’ll send that picture to a man I know if you don’t mind.

Have you seen this?

https://www.gaa.ie/bloodysunday/the-graves-project

1 Like

Yeah, no probs. Great to see that there’s been an effort made to remember the victims by the GAA through the graves project.

I noticed a few flowers in the undergrowth, so it looks like there have been a few visitors to the grave in the last few years anyway.

2 Likes

All great stuff Turbo, maith an fear. I’ve shared it around, there seems great appetite for it. A mate from Tipp who’s not big into the gah sent me back a reply saying he was delighted with that stuff and was sending on to a mate of his who is very big into the history angle.

2 Likes

The man who Stephen Cluxton eclipsed as Dublin’s longest serving player played on that fateful November Sunday 100 years ago v Tipperary - as did his brother.

O’Toole’s legends, Johnny & Paddy.

1 Like