Blue Book

Right this is obviously not a nostalgic look back at the at times cringeworthy days of Pillar but the other Blue Book full of lovely places to eat and stay.

I have a fairly substantial voucher - which may only go to two dinners in some places. Anyone recommend a place in the book where you don’t have to act like a knob (I know but I’ll try), where I won’t have to get stuck with some boring Southsider drinking Pimms, where it isn’t €8 for a pint and €63 for a mouthful of monkfish and where you can escape to an ordinary bar if needed. Also if your missus is doing nothing …

The 'Joy?

The Ice House hotel in Ballina was very nice when we stayed there a few years ago for our anniversary. Food in restaurant was very nice and they gave us a free bottle of bubbles to mark the occasion. Great views of the river Moy from the floor to ceiling windows in the bedroom.

2 Likes

Inch house in (near)/thurles. Fiarcre (spelling is wrong)/near roscrea. Inch has a much nicer bar. Think you can stay at inch too.

1 Like

Cheers @Towers_Abu - have heard good things about it for a while. A real contender.

1 Like

Will second what @Towers_Abu has said about the Ice House & Crocketts On The Quay is a great spot for food just down the road from it.

2 Likes

Yeah we ate in Crocketts the 2nd night, and grub was very nice. A nice pub for a pint too.
Actually @DUB09 you should just use the Blue Book voucher for the Resser’s Christmas night out, or at least bring @dcr22B and me down for a few pints, in return for the good recommendations! :wink::wink:

1 Like

Great idea. I’ll be in touch.

Feck that @Towers_Abu, I’m sure we’d have much more craic in Murrays…

1 Like

I’ll see if the Top Shop is listed,

No problem with a lock in either…ssshhhh!

1 Like

It’s listed alright, just not in the Blue Book!

Ah jaysus … the voucher doesn’t run to four figures!

Update: Surprisingly the Top Shop is not listed in the Blue Book.

Horse & Jockey in…Horse & Jockey.
Step House in Borris.
Mt Wolseley in Tullow(fab pints of Smithwicks in that town).
Glencairn Inn and French bistro near Lismore (if it’s still going).
Lismore House Hotel.
Wooden House, Kilmore Quay.
O’Neills, Valentia Island.
Garnish House on Western Road in Cork City, possibly the best breakfast in Ireland.
Travara Lodge, Courtmacsharry, funniest host of any guest house I’ve been in, and great grub.
Eccles Hotel, Glengariff.
McCarthys Bar, Castletownbere(stay at Goldwater Cottages).
The Salthill Hotel.

That’s just to be going on with…

Most of them not here. This is the current list of participants …

https://www.irelands-blue-book.ie/houses.html

That book doesn’t sound up to much then. How about The Westport Woods?

The Auld Triangle’s fresh fish menu is to die for. Jazz improv and poetry readings most nights. Strict door. Dublin jerseys must be free of beer and vomit stains and tucked into breeches.

Trocadero is a smashing place. Been there a number of times and never disappointed

1 Like