Classical music thread

I think we had a classical music thread in a previous ressers board.
I don’t get sitting though an opera where deciphering the lyrics is generally beyond me. I am not really a fan of Musicals either (though Willy Russell’s excellent Blood Brothers would be an exception). That said, some of the arie from operas I find to be fantastic to listen to in their own right.

3 Likes

Love a bit of Strauss

1 Like

Good to see a classical music thread opening up … I’m curious as to which pieces folks will post.

1 Like

This is a nice tune. Coolio even sampled it.

3 Likes

I love Elgar. I don’t know if that is high brow or low brow from a classical music point of view . With maybe the exception of Pomp and Circumstance which is too synonymous with the creepy imperialism of our neighbours .

Nimrod is majestic!

2 Likes

Always loved this.

3 Likes

Might not be considered pure classical… but this simply genius work. Great film.

2 Likes

If it’s Morricone, it’s a classic as well as being classical.
He will be revered in centuries to come in the same way the likes of Mozart and Beethoven and Vivaldi et al are these days.

1 Like

:astonished: Eh no pressure Ennio !

1 Like

You either like a piece of music or you don’t Yoda … the ‘high brow’ is just nonsense we should ignore (like we should ignore for example hurling snobs)
As you like Elgar you might like another English composer from roughly the same era, Ralph Vaughan Williams and his Lark Ascending.

3 Likes

IMO… Ennio is up there with the greats. Genuis. On Earth as it is in Heaven makes me want to cry listening to it. And this is very difficult as I don’t have tear ducts.

If Morricone qualifies for this thread then this is one of my favourites

3 Likes

brilliant. How can one person come with all of this?

Speaking of tears then … Lascia ch’io pianga (‘Let me Weep’) from Handel’s Rinaldo with Cecila Bartoli.

3 Likes

Ok we might be going a wee bit of track… stand out track from game of thrones.

Zimmer a pure genius swell. Imagine having that as legacy? At the moment mine is the amount of burgers I can eat.

@beeko great thread to resurrect chief. Pat on the back.

1 Like

Hope Is a Good Thing…

Don’t forget the Welsh Wizard Karl Jenkins, he of Adiemus! Listen to Hayley Westenra singing his Benedictus. Spine tingling…Or another current favourite of mine, Ludovico Einaudi. A ledge.

2 Likes

Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing How Great Thou Art or Amazing Grace worth a listen.

2 Likes