Club players association

This … some have no GAA background at all

I disagree Alan. While like you I don’t like a lot of what the GPA has done and continue to do they do have a mandate from their members even thought they are small in number. They hold regular meetings of members and canvass them regularly for their views on various topics. The CPA on the other hand have never, to my knowledge, met as a group or had an AGM. I don’t believe they ever canvassed the so called 20,000 members for their opinion on the fixture plan that they have or if they agree with their statements about the Super8 proposal. I’d be a bit sceptical about people being members of an association which does not require a membership fee of a nominal amount. How many “members” would they have if it cost a fiver to join??
Having said that When I Look at the make up of the CPA committee - every one an ex-inter county player (or manager) - I would not be surprised if we find out in the future that they are actually the GPA in disguise, hoping to boost the size of that association and organise a players take over!

So does anyone know how our CB delegates are going to vote on the Super 8 motion?

Listening back to Liam Griffin & Joe Brolly’s on Off The Ball, it’s all so obvious but yet these faceless delegates seem to get completely off the hook at the yearly GAA huddle. Farcical stuff.

Btw, the GAA were asked by Newstalk if they wanted to contribute to the ítem on Off The Ball. They declined.
Hopefully the Super 8 motion goes down in flames. For once, we might be glad of the two-thirds requirement at Congress.

2 Likes

Who are the Dublin delegates and who tells them which way to vote?

Players are so far removed from the delegates. Most players don’t even know who their club delegates are never mind the county ones.

1 Like

I would have thought the issue would have been discussed at the last county committee meeting and a decision made. If not then the management committee will instruct delegates.

So is it just the members of the county or management committee who decide or do they get the views of the clubs?

Is there anywhere which sets out the structure of the governance around county board decisions?

From the outside looking in the system looks flawed on a number of levels

C[quote=“Rico, post:26, topic:1281, full:true”]
So is it just the members of the county or management committee who decide or do they get the views of the clubs?

Is there anywhere which sets out the structure of the governance around county board decisions?

From the outside looking in the system looks flawed on a number of levels
[/quote]

Clubs send delegates to monthly county committee. Usually the club secretary will have been briefed on any big decisions to be voted on. Up to clubs to adopt a position. The flaw is that members of clubs don’t demand discussions on major issues so club committees make decisions without consultation.

To be honest I’m not sure even committees discuss them. I’ve sat in on a couple and never once heard debate on any issues that were being voted on at county board so a lot of the time I think the delegate just voted as he saw fit personally.

Our club is possibly an outlier though.