Cultural Cringe

I learned a new phrase last wk…Cultural Cringe.

It’s defined as the view that one’s own national culture is inferior to the culture of other countries.

It’s prevalent in countries that were former colonies.

I guess it’s very relevant today as we see more cancel culture. More Woke.

It’s something I associate with FG. Esp John Bruton.

Cringing at the Easter Rising, the war of ind, downplaying unionist wrongs, the hunger strikes…nationalism…even gaelic games. Some cringe at Dubliner songs.

Maybe they see themselves as more mature, more open-minded, more enlightened. Maybe it’s a class thing.

In terms of northern politics - they show their ‘maturity’ by attending a DUP conf. The irony is they seek validation from the taliban of politics.

Forget the politics…I just don’t understand people rejecting part of who they are.

4 Likes

Hello again @upthedall

3 Likes

I first heard it in the 80s in reference to the revisionist historians who had become very promenent.

Some poster mentioned about how we learned history here and it reminded me that in the 80s in the middle of the troubles and our having an actual Cívil war going on that all our school history books stopped in 1966 when it came to Ireland.

1 Like

Not sure where this is going , need to get my head around it a bit before having a view , but think it’s very worthy of discussion

1 Like

Hey, we just had our stand in justice minister mentioning 800 years of the UK Ireland free travel zone. She left out the freedom of movement to van diemens land.

2 Likes

Regina Doherty is not the stand in Minister for Justice, that’s Heather Humphrey’s. Doherty did mention the 800 years of free UK to Ireland travel but in doing so made a reference to “the mainland” i.e. the island across the Irish Sea. Shows you the way FG think.

1 Like

Maybe they dont view it as part of who they are?

I think we should be very proud of our games, music and language. Many would disagree. But that’s life. Forcing this stuff down people’s throats or judging them for not having an interest clearly doesn’t work. The language being a prime example.

2 Likes

Complex dynamic there dall - main point being in my view that it ain’t we alone here that suffer/carry/act out on the post-colonial thing.

Colon being the operative root.

Interesting how emigrants from the old sod so often cleave and cling to and celebrate the native culture, sometimes in a half-arsed way, while many who remain at home, often the most privileged, only wish to see the back of it.

Hence the bringing it all back home motif.

Partition and its effects on culture and relationships has to be even more damaging and worthy of redress.

2 Likes

Tbh I’d find that a touch more than slightly pitiful.
Tha wee dafty bint. I think I need to lie down.

I think there was a big change in the late 80s and 90s. Up to then I thing we had a huge complex to the English, but I think a few things happened to help us over come it. Things like the emergence of Sean Kelly and Stephen Roche , the commitments broke away from the typical Quiet man image, Riverdance had a huge impact and also a little later the soccer team.

1 Like

I used to travel to India with work.

And class was super important. Far more than here.

And so was anglophilia. The better their English, if they’d relatives in England, the English-only speaking schools their kids went to. Even the paler their skin the better.

Forum favourite pin up girl pritti patel, it’s not just here but wherever the brits left their cultural skid marks.

2 Likes

Shirley it’s not just them brits though.

I’d imagine any exploitation of others, systematic or otherwise, has a fairly predictable aftermath and outcome.

Until the healing occurs. Or not.

Good question. You’d have to check the ex French empire, I think Algeria is their version.

Same in most South American countries . Brazil and Argentina being two.

Asia has a different view where they regard most of the English and Americans with suspicion

I think a fella called Frantz Fanon wrote the book on it. Post-colonialism. Or at least got the ball rolling…

1 Like

French West Indian psychiatrist. University of Lyon. Always thought he were North African

@upthedall

Great thread, brother! It’s a complex web. I come from a family that would have it’s links to the old IRA. I’d say lots on here may have connections also, whether they know it or not. We would be very proud of our roots. I’ll never forget the silence at home when Bobby Sands died and the rest began to follow. (30 years ago… time is going too fast). I find it hard to understand the whole West Brit thing and I see it clearly in FG. Do they not know their history or are they in denial? The miracle of our freedom (albeit incomplete) from the empire that enslaved the world at one stage, is often taken for granted. It shouldn’t be. Great men and women died so that we would be a free nation. I think in some ways, we have not done justice to their memory… but there is still time. Happy Easter to you and yours in Tyrone and go easy on us in the championship, a chara!

4 Likes

The thing with FineGael very few seem to be working class it’s like you need a pile of cash to join them. They resemble the torries more than the torries themselves

2 Likes

I’d like to read some serious analysis on the extent to which we continue to vote according to family ties to the uncivil war.
Most likely has been researched already. But by whom?
We desperately need to break out of the green-blue-turquoise strait-jacket.

Health Housing Education required.
And then there’s employment