Dublin hurling development

Article from the Irish times about Dublin hurling

1 Like

Finals Of Celtic Challenge Hurling Tournament Held At Nowlan Park, Kilkenny

Corn Michael Hogan (Div 1 Final): Offaly 4-10, South Kilkenny 3-12

Corn John Scott (Div 2 Final): South Wexford 4-11, Kerry 2-15

Corn William Robinson (Div 3 Final): North Wexford 4-13, Dublin Plunkett 1-15

Corn Jerome O’Leary (Div 4 Final): Waterford City 2-14, Laois 0-14

Corn Michael Feery (Div 5 Final): Wicklow 5-13, Westmeath 1-14.

Offaly and Wexford hurling on the up?

What’s Dublin plunkett when it’s at home?

Half of the Dublin U17 development panel, excluding any players on the minor squad. Dublin had 3 teams in this competition - the other half of the U17 panel and the U16 panel. All performed very well.

and the north wexford team is selected on the same criteria?

A number of the so called stronger hurling counties were not permitted to play anyone (under 17) on the 24 man minor panel. The other counties could. I assume Wexford couldn’t play them either…

Also talking about non exam students so lads doing the junior or a few younger fellas doing the Leaving (it happens) would not be available.

Useful competition but I wouldn’t read too much into the results.

Just read the article that starts this thread now, I have to disagree with this bit of it (minor enough point though it is…).
’“I was in Artane and saw four young lads, late teenagers, heading off with their hurls in their hands and said to myself, ‘isn’t that wonderful’. You wouldn’t have seen that 20 years ago’

It would never have been any sort of a surprise to see young lads with hurls around there, 20 years ago, or 30 years ago even. If you passed the park there in Donnycarney, and there wasn’t young lads hurling in it, it would have been a surprise.

2 Likes

Great to see Kerry competing. Cannot imagine Kilkenny competing in a footballing equivalent.

Interesting…

Fair play to him, in kilkenny that’s hardly a glamour position.

Also seen Martin Fogarty has been appointed as the national hurling guy, a position last held a few years ago by yerman Paudie Butler - good to see the position back and filled by such a respected person as well.

Fogarty is top class, I see the Munster hurling gang are not happy all the same. “Sure what would them Kilkenny lads know about hurlin!!!”

Good man DeeJay indeed. He was a very good footballer himself.