Dublin Intermediate Hurling Championship (IHC) 2021

So who are the favourites here when we get going again? As with other years I would say this one is up for grabs from one of 4/5 teams, mainly the Fingal clubs.

This the correct line up for 2021?

Intermediate HC

Erins Isle
Fingallians
Kevins
Kilmacud Crokes
Naomh Mearnog
Naomh Olaf
St Brigids
St Judes
St Marks
St Maurs
St Sylvesters
St Vincents

Not sure it is finalised fully yet but presuming Pats request to drop down goes through and then Brigids 2nd team (Junior A winners 2020) are brought up even though there was not meant to be promotion from Junior A last year then this list looks right to me.

Going off the 2020 Championship, I think the winner will probably come from Mearnóg
Fingallians, Maurs or maybe Sylvesters. Would also never rule out Crokes given the huge numbers at their disposal.

I think the level of competition at this level now is too much for a third team like Crokes to win it. They will continue to make the final stages etc. but not win it. Their second team has a greater chance of winning the Senior B again IMO.

Fingallians, Maurs, Mearnóg, Sylvesters, my preferred teams also but would throw Isles in there too.

@sneakersotoole Isles got anything good coming through from last year?

1 Like

Think isles put a fair bit of work into the kids a few years ago and hopefully it should start paying dividends in next couple years. Fair play to them

Opening Round Fixtures

Go Ahead Intermediate Hurling Championship Group 1 Pairc Ui Bhriain 18:00 Naomh Olaf v St Sylvesters
Go Ahead Intermediate Hurling Championship Group 1 Finglas 18:00 Erins Isle v Kevins
Go Ahead Intermediate Hurling Championship Group 2 Portmarnock 18:00 Naomh Mearnog v St Marks
Go Ahead Intermediate Hurling Championship Group 2 Lawless Park 18:00 Fingallians v St Brigids
Go Ahead Intermediate Hurling Championship Group 3 Tymon North 18:00 St Judes v Kilmacud Crokes
Go Ahead Intermediate Hurling Championship Group 3 Pairc Na Uinsionn 18:00 St Vincents v St Maurs

Olafs vs Syls and Fingallians vs Brigids will both be close games and I will try get to one of them

Olafs Syls have a mini rivalry going the past few years in League and Champo with Syls coming out on top more

Brigids (2nd team) are coming up from Junior A but are well able for this level and will test the inter finalists from last year IMO

1 Like

This championship is wide open this year, probably 6-8 teams who will feel they’re in with a shout.

4 semi finalists (Mearnog Fins Syls Isles) from last year along with Maurs, Olaf’s and Crokes should all be there or there abouts judging on last few years

Maurs yet to make a semi at this grade and haven’t won a League game in Division 3 North yet this year so not a contender in my opinion

Is @sneakersotoole still knocking around to advise on Isles chances?

Rumour is Maurs had no dual players in league games , if that’s the situation in championship also then they will struggle

A club of their size (mid-lower in size terms) cannot afford to be at that nonsense. Dual players are needed.

1 Like

Im only hearing it second/third hand , heard it was lead by football coach not wanting any dual players in doing so Maurs lost a couple of tasty hurlers
Their scores would support that theory , that said unless someone from the club could confirm/deny its all just heresay
Hope if true for their sake they give football a go otherwise what was the point

1 Like

The theory seems plausible, I was surprised at how poorly they performed in this league

1 Like

I will go for home wins in all of these except Syls to beat Olafs

The other game not shown here is Judes 2nd team at home to Crokes 3rd team, I will go for Crokes 3rd team in that one

Olafs beat Syles by 7

I got all my predictions right except for this one. Olafs will be strong this year with Dublin U20s available etc

Great starts for Olafs and Erin’s Isle.

Don’t think that’s accurate

Could be wrong but I think Syls have had it over Olafs for a few years so a big result for Olafs alright