Dublin Minor Teams from Yesteryear

Some of the minor teams from match day programmes. Might bring back some memories over the lockdown.
1982 Leinster Semi Final

1982 Leinster Final

1982 All Ireland Semi Final Team

1982 All Ireland Final

6 Likes

1984 Leinster Final

1984 All Ireland Semi Final

1984 All Ireland Final

7 Likes

Future Meath u21 manager and self confessed Meath fan Seán Barry in the 84 Dublin team. Interesting to see Ballyfermot and Shankill represented back then.
Sean Wight on the Kerry 82 minor team , Scottish born and he went with Jim Stynes to the AFL. Passed away a few years back .
Good stuff @Programme.Collector, interesting to look back.

1 Like

Fair play @Programme.Collector - great idea.

1 Like

Brilliant stuff, great spread across Clubs.

1 Like

The young Eamon Heery, butter wouldn’t melt…

Did Kilmore and Monica’s join together ?

Kilmore were producing a lot of good footballers then. John Madden was another Dublin minor I recall. I had forgotten Alan McLean from 84 Knew him totally outside GAA afterwards

Did that John Madden play senior for Dublin around 91?

I don’t know he got to senior . He was minor in 86 I’d reckon. I knew a first cousin.

Actually Madden lad I’m thinking of played with Mearnog.

Did Parnell’s take over kilmore or what happened them. Produced fine footballers early 80s

From memory, Kilmore folded, some went to Parnell’s & Craobh.
Few of my cousins played with Kilmore, then moved to Parnell’s.

2 Likes

John was minor in 86 , alongside John Sammon, niall Guidan & Brian Burke . Great minor team backbones by St Davids who went to the All Ireland colleges finsl under Talty

3 Likes

Great thread !

1 Like

1986 campaign. Leinster champions. Lost to Cork in the All Ireland semi final.

1986 Leinster Semi Final V Longford in Portlaoise.

1986 Leinster Final V Meath

1986 All Ireland Semi Final V Cork.

The mearnog lad was Paddy Madden. John Madden moved to Galway to teach. Think he played with Salthill. He may have played with Parnells for a year or 2

86 side was a cracking team that should have won an All Ireland. 7 or 8 went on to play senior with Dublin , vinny Murphy & Paul Curran were 1st year minors but couldn’t make the squad. No 10 was Shep Mc Cormack , Jim Gavins right hand man

1 Like

There was a John Madden who played u21 in 99 for Dublin. Almost certain he played for Mearnog.

Kilmore appear to have a serious amount of ballers. What happened there?

Perhaps a discussion in new thread.

1 Like