Dublin Senior 3 Hurling 2022

Crokes with a team in each of the top three championships is some feat and the production line doesn’t look like stopping anytime soon.

3 Likes

How many minors a year do Crokes have on average

If they haven’t already hit it they will soon be at the 100 mark.

It’s the quality though that’s impressive- was it five starters they had on this years U20 team?

The concept of Senior 3 is ridiculous… Should be Intermediate. Is it going to be phased out?

2 Likes

One club having the ability to field 3 senior teams is crazy. They’ve a team in every football championship too except junior 2.

A lot of work has obviously gone on in Crokes and fair play to them but surely their size and dominance is not good for the club game in Dublin. They usually field 4/5 juvenile teams at the same age group also so it doesn’t look like they’re stopping anytime too.

Is the catchment area too large?

4 Likes

In a word yes . But they aren’t alone in south Dublin

3 Likes

Crokes, Cuala, Lucan and Boden have crazy numbers. Well run clubs that have to be applauded. There are other clubs springing up/reemerging in areas though. Great work going on in the smaller clubs in the hinterland of these giants, who are having to battle the big clubs for recruitment. Just to take Crokes for example. A lot of the Crokes lads probably live in Foxrock and are far closer to Geraldines but because of the great name Crokes have or the connection the parents have to Crokes mean they go to Crokes, even if they are beside Geraldines. If the smaller neighouring clubs got even 15/20 percent of the overflow of the 120 boys in the academies it would create lots more powerful clubs. This is not a slight on Crokes in anyway they are incredible and are driving the small ball in the club and schools to the highest level. The same could be said for several of the other huge clubs withover 80 at each age in academies.

3 Likes

Olaf’s and Balinteer have big numbers at underage now

Unfortunately the traditional clubs on the north side are going to find it very difficult numbers wise

Organisation and numbers is very hard to beat I think

1 Like

It’s more to do with numbers than organisation I think.
Most of the older traditional clubs are situated in areas that are now home to Grandparents. Their offspring have grown up and moved out to the newer areas on the outskirts of the city where the newer and bigger clubs are benefiting at the moment.

3 Likes

But they just need to get there house in order . Volunteers etc like Crokes have

Crokes Senior B team are probably good enough to be playing Senior A Championship, I would wager.
Playing in the Senior A Championship would no doubt improve those players.
I am not advocating that any club be allowed field more than one team in a championship. It’s a pity however that a lot of players are missing out on playing A SHC because they are at a club that is too big. Some, if exposed to A SHC games regularly, might even challenge to make the county panel.
It’s just plain wrong, in my opinion. It’s not the fault of Kilmacud.

1 Like

Id wager if your not good enough to make Crokes starting 15 your not good enough for county , that first team panel will be 20 odd strong easily
If you can’t make that panel that’s a you problem or a Crokes problem not a Dublin problem

4 Likes

How big is too big in terms of members for a GAA club

Great question , and I’m not sure of the answer , on one hand massive clubs create an imbalanced playing field , on the other you can hardly criticise a club for being incredibly successful
I think it starts at nursery age no kid tells mum n dad where they want to play , that’s an adult decision
Parents seeing the kids playing career in a similar light to schooling sure why wouldn’t you want the best for your kid ?
A good friend of mine belonging to a very successful club told me a couple of years ago the problem they had in the club was too many accountants and not enough brand managers .I thought he was talking about a corporate entity , no his club and how the vision and brand needed to be stronger.
I will leave it to each and their own as to how that sits with what we think of when we think of the local GAA club

1 Like

If you’re going to have the type of numbers Crokes etc have, it’s vital IMO to have a good Club Structure, Coaching network and Player Pathway. If this is in place Parents will want to bring their kid’s down. Crokes have had this nailed for a while now.
Equally as important from a player retention point of view, there needs to be somewhere for them to go when they come out of Juvenile. I saw a post couple days ago on Crokes site, they’ve 5 Adult Hurling Team’s & 7 Football contesting this year’s Championship.
In my view, the biggest advantage most of the Big Southside clubs have over Northside, is that there’s a small number of Clubs covering a huge catchment area. Over on the Northside, there’s a lot of Clubs competing for players from a much smaller area, and as someone said above, a lot of these areas have older population.

2 Likes

An issue i would see is if you have 90/100 lads they cannot all make the top team. So at u12/u13 the coaches may not necesserily know their best players. Lads may end up on b and c teams playing a lower level hurling and not develop as much as they would if they were playing A hurling. Also as much as I hate to say it some lads who may be good if they dont make an A team may decide to focus on other sports.

2 Likes

I hear you but that’s an individual club issue and something the aforementioned parents should consider before commuting to a club
For me it’s a GAA equivalent of Elon Musk finding it difficult to spend all his dosh , real first world problem

1 Like

I agree. I dont really know the solution. You cant tell parents what clubs to bring their kids too. It does seem pretty mad where you have countless Dublin minors and u21 who never come close to starting on a club senior team due to the talent available at the bigger clubs.

1 Like

Think last year crokes had 7 u12 hurling teams.

1 Like