Dublin Senior Football Team of the Decade

Following on from our most successful era, posters are invited to name their team of the decade.

1 Like

My team is below. This was a bit like pulling teeth, given the quality that is left out, but that’s how spoiled we are this decade.

1 Stephen Cluxton
2 Philly McMahon
3 Rory O’Carroll
4 Jonny Cooper
5 James McCarthy
6 C O’Sullivan
7 Jack McCaffrey
8 Michael Darragh MacAuley
9 Brian Fenton
10 Paul Flynn
11 Ciarán Kilkenny
12 Diarmuid Connolly
13 Paul Mannion
14 Con O’Callaghan
15 Bernard Brogan

Honorable mention to: Alan Brogan, Brian Howard, Michael Fitzsimons, John Small, Paddy Andrews, Kevin McManamon, Dean Rock, Ger Brennan, Dennis Bastick, Eoghan O’Gara

3 Likes

What an impossible task … but an excellent first effort. Mine would not be far off that … it might even be the same.

Only change Id make is Alan Brogan for Kilkenny and let Dermo be the playmaker.

This thread will do my nut in - for ALL of the right reasons!

1 Like

1 Stephen Cluxton
2 Mick Fitzsimmons
3 Philly McMahon
4 Jonny Cooper
5 James McCarthy
6 C O’Sullivan
7 Jack McCaffrey
9 Brian Fenton
10 Paul Flynn
11 Diarmuid Connolly
12 Ciarán Kilkenny
13 Kevin McMenamin
14 Con O’Callaghan
15 Bernard Brogan

Dean Rock is Dublin’s record EVER scorer…a Rock by name and a rock by nature…we would not have the same record without him!

2 Likes

Agree with everything you said, but who do you leave out and what would our record be without them?

Wow, this is going to be difficult! I’d go with the following:

1 Stephen Cluxton
2 Mick Fitzsimmons
3 Jonny Cooper
4 Philly McMahon
5 James McCarthy
6 Cian O’Sullivan
7 Jack McCaffrey
9 Brian Fenton
10 Paul Flynn
11 Diarmuid Connolly
12 Ciarán Kilkenny
13 Dean Rock
14 Con O’Callaghan
15 Bernard Brogan

A very close call between Dean, Alan Brogan and Paul Mannion, but Dean just shades it for me.

1 Like

My forwards would be

Mannion
Kilkenny
Connolly
Brogan
Con
Rock

Flynn loses out just . But could make the argument that Flynn replaces Con who only being playing three years this decade, albeit brilliantly

Which Brogan?
This is an impossible task!

1 Like

That’s controversial

1 Like

This is the classic situation of letting more recent events swing your judgement. If we’re going on the decade as a whole Flynn is one of the first names on the team. 4 all stars in a row from 11-14 can’t be forgotten.

Impossible team to pick though up front. 8 or 9 players for 6 spots.

Another way to look at this is how many of this bunch would get in to an all time 15? A high number for sure but that debate would be endless!

Fook sake, who lifted the trophy first in 2011 and has been fundamental in this 5 in a row???

Joking

2 Likes
  1. Stephen Cluxton
  2. Philly Mc Mahon
  3. Mick Fitzsimmons
  4. Johnny Cooper
  5. James McCarthy
  6. Cian O’Sullivan
  7. Jack McCaffrey
  8. Brian Fenton
  9. MDMA
  10. Diarmuid Connolly
  11. Ciaran Kilkenny
  12. Paul Flynn
  13. Bernard Brogan
  14. Dean Rock
  15. Kevin McManamon

Kev Mc is in for me just down to his big moments that he has produced. Left out Con as I think the best of him is yet to come. Could have also switched in Cullen for Flynn as both where massive for us in the early part of the decade. Mick Fitz has been there throughout the whole decade and always marking the best players so had to go in ahead of Rory at 3

I think Bastick runs MDMA very close here. A warrior at midfield for Dublin over the years. Dean Rock also has to make it as others have pointed out.

I have Rory in ahead of Fitzy because I consider him the most natural full back and he gives a greater balance to that line. I also have the other two in ahead of him because they offer more from play, but its a tough call. Deano or Mannion is the biggest dilemma for me. I’d have Flynner in every time.

Deano is a cert. IMO.

Flynner had great years between 2011 and 2014 but i thought his performances after that were middle of the road relatively speaking - Mannion had excellent years in 2013, 2017, 2018 and 2019 and scoring returns puts him ahead, just. …But I can see why people pick Flynn ahead of a few players-- It’s all about opinions!

I was close with putting Bastick in but the POTY that MDMA got swung it for me

My forwards would be

Howard
Kilkenny
Connolly

Mannion
Con
Alan Brogan

Howard over Flynn is easy for me. No room for Bernard makes me feel filthy but I just go for Mannion.