Erin’s Hope 1956

Hi. I’m doing a bit of research on the Erin’s Hope team that interrupted Vincent’s dominance in the ‘50’s.
Is there anyone out there who can steer me towards an information source…

Go raibh míle.
Fintan Mac Coitir.

1 Like

Jerry Grogan is your man for a steer. He was/is with Trinity Gaels. Someone here will have contact details.

1 Like

Jerry would be a good shout. Alternatively Fintan Walsh ex of St Mary’s Rathfarnham and Ballyboden actually played on that team I believe along with Mattie McDonagh (RIP) of Galway…

1 Like

Or Tom Fitzpatrick. In fact, if you just contact Cumann na mBunscol (Dublin branch), they will have a multitude of contacts for you, including Fintan Walsh.

1 Like

Tom’s retired and living the life in North Clare. If original poster wants his details let me know by PM please.

1 Like

I must give him a shout for a restorative cordial next time I’m down there!

1 Like
                                                    1 Terry Mc Quinn (Kerry)
  2 Mick O Donoghue (Kerry) 3 Brendan Keane (Mayo) 4 J.J. Breslin (Roscommon)
       5 Tadhg O Siocru (Kerry) 6 Martin Queally (Clare) 7 Pat Conefrey (Leitrim)
                8 Fintan Walsh, Captain (Laoise) 9 Tom Long (Kerry)

10 Dermot O Donovan (Cork) 11 Mattie Mc Donagh (Galway) 12 Michael O Brien (Cork)
13 Tomas Mc Kenna (Kerry) 14 Donal Hurley (Cork) 15 Bertie Towey (Mayo)

Fintan Walsh not keeping in best of health so may not be of great help. I brought him to hospital appointment recently & his recall is not what it was poor man

3 Likes

Martin Queally Clare still hale and hearty.

1 Like

Is he a Cooraclare man?

Yes he is won a Senior Championship same year 1956 and won Senior Championship 1964 and 65,Senan Connell father of Senan that played for Dublin also on 56 team,Jim Gavin’s father Jimmy also won two Senior Championship’s around the same time with Cooraclare.Martin Queally played for Munster 1960 and also won a Kildare Senior Championship with Round Towers.

2 Likes

Martin Queally with Hopes in 56 and Cooraclare same year

1 Like

My Uncle Joe Power was the Ref.He won Senior Championship with o Tooles in 1946 and won one with Quilty 1939
;

6 Likes

1 Like

I played with many of that Erin’s Hope team when we were freshmen. Funnily enough Mick O’Connor (Hopes) was the Freshman manager and the following year Maurice Hurley (Isles managed the Hope’s B Team. It was the St.Patrick’s College team. They played under the banner of Erin’s Hope in the DSC.

2 Likes

Great thread lads :clap::clap:

5 Likes

I was secretary of the Hope’s in early 90s when we could hardly field a team!

7 Likes

No Hopers !

3 Likes

I always thought it was a load of bollix for the likes of Erin’s Hope and U.C.D. to be allowed play in the DSFC.