Favourite phone photos

County Down. On the way down Donard looking at Commedagh

1 Like

Something about those parts of the Mournes and Comeraghs look very similarly familiar to me. Even though there’s plenty other places with similar spots, for example in The Galtees, and parts of Wicklow

1 Like

Even though the town is in Catalonia, the only access by road is through Andorra

4 Likes

A good hurling part of Westmeath.

Great pic. Them cows look like they’re crawling across the border in clandestine special ops commando strategic manoeuvres…

And who is to say they are not?

When championship in August was still a thing

5 Likes

Funny think about cows here in the mountains is there is usually a bull in the herd and they allow them to roam freely through the villages, I assume they are a quiet breed.

1 Like

It’s almost like we have jinxed the summer with the early intercounty finish. Last two evenings here have been very dark early with wind and rain. Mornings closing in too…noticeable change.

1 Like

AI finals under the lights would work very well IMO as show previously in the Hurling and Football replays

Can’t bate those long summer evenings

This came up on a Fookbase feed… Saying that it was taken in 1982.
What year did they change the flow of traffic on the quays? I reckon that it was before 1982.

4 Likes

It was 1982. Hard to believe it happened 40 years ago this month. I preferred the old traffic system. At least then we could drive into town.

This is from RTÉ archives.

A new traffic flow system is introduced in Dublin city centre involving a one-way reversal along many city streets including the quays.

Sunday was chosen as the day to introduce the reversal of traffic on the quays as it was deemed to be the least disruptive day and would give motorists time to adjust to the new system ahead of the Monday morning rush. However, this was not to be as traffic was heavier than usual for a Sunday.

Many drivers headed for the city centre to see the new system in action and to plan the route for their Monday morning commute. This resulted in traffic jams on Bachelor’s Walk, this time facing the other way. As part of the new system, traffic would now flow west to east along Bachelor’s Walk.

The scheme means the reversal of traffic flow along the quays, new one-way streets, and three hundred new traffic signs.

RTÉ News reporter Alan McCullough spoke to some drivers along Bachelor’s Walk as they waited for the traffic to get moving again. There are mixed feelings about the new system with one motorist commenting,

I’d hate to come down here Monday evening at half five.

Another driver who is delighted with the new system despite sitting in a traffic jam says,

I think the traffic flows much more freely.

It remains to be seen how the new system contends with its first rush hour.

An RTÉ News report broadcast on 29 August 1982. The reporter is Alan McCullough.

1 Like

That’s just fantastic.
Orange buses an’ all.
Good to see that day,
Moving forward

Dr. Zhivago, howrye?

Looks better than it does now.

2 Likes

Great pic.
Joyce’s Demolition & Excavation was prescient about what was allowed be done to the city centre…

If you look closely enough, you can see Michael Fingleton through the blinds of a top floor window in Irish Nationwide Building Society building, fiddling the books, apparently.

Overlooking Balos/Crete

5 Likes