GAA Players lost to other sports

Instead of derailing soccer thread with Darragh O’Shea. Was interesting to hear to hear O’Shea and another player played with Judes before playing football in England.

I would be interested to know clubs who had players who had played adult/juvenile before they went off to play soccer/rugby etc

Enda Stevens, Alan McGreal(intermediate player of year with Crumlin Utd), Craig Walsh(Crumlin Utd, won that show for trial at Inter Milan),Roberto Lopez(Shamrock Rovers) and John Travrrs(Irish European runner) all played with St James Gaels.

There was a chap called Kevin Moran - played a bit of GAA I think before going over to the 2nd biggest club in Manchester.

5 Likes

Shane Long hurled with Tipp. Played in a AI minor final IIRC

Sorry - read that thread wrong !

It was a bit dyslexic alright. :joy:

The eyes are shot! I recently got glasses and I’m blind as a bat without them

That’s my excuse and I’m sticking with it.

3 Likes

Niall Quinn played minor hurling for Dublin, got to a Leinster final.

2 Likes

Brian o Driscoll played with clontarf gaa .
Then played with the oval ball .

Andrew Porter played with Crokes before concentrating on the rugby

Seamus Coleman played with a club in Donegal and still trains with them during a “normal” summer

Rob Kearney played minor for Louth.

Tomas O’Leary won back to back minor AI Hurling titles with Cork in '00 and '01

1 Like

Tommy Bowe played in Monaghan. Not 100% sure if he was on an underage county panel though

Kenny Cunningham played a fair bit of GAA and soccer - with Dessie and Jayo

Mick Galwey of course has an AI SF winners medal

I was in school with Craig Walsh s Dad . And my niece went out with John Travers when they were teenagers . 6 degrees of @Wasonthehill83

Was Seamus not on a Donegal minor team ?

Packie Bonner played a few times for Donegal in the league if I remeber correctly from his book

Wow wow wow. Was that during the Saturday Night Fever or Grease or Pulp Fiction or Face Off time??

Anthony stokes (soccer) dave mcsharry (Rugby) and niyi adeolokun (Rugby) all played with tss