Getting an authentic Aran Jumper

Ah look, it’s a great country with a great standard of living and many great and fine people, obvs

1 Like

Heard recently of some auld fella who didn’t believe in washing them. He’d live in his geansaí inside out and turn it about for special occasions.

1 Like

I think East Belfast has some great knitwear shops

An Orange Aran? I hadn’t thought of that👍.

Thank you - I shall have a look!

@ustix : Forgive my ignorance, but the word geansai - may I ask if it is pronounced the same way as Guernsey?

This jumper that belonged to the (?mythical) old chap: it must have pretty much taken on a life of its own, to say nothing of the smell. …

I would wager that Geansai is an Irish word for Guernsey. It would be pronounced ganzee.

1 Like

Aussie Rules tops are called “Guernseys”, I think? We have Jersey and Aran jumpers. And, though not an island, we also have Cardigans.

How do you wash your woolie jumpers Tocklishchop? I had a disaster years back with a lovely woollen hoody that somebody got me from Nepal. Shrunk it, colour ran and the dirt was still there too!!

Might have originated in Japan then?

@ciotog

Hand wash lightly
Dry Flat
Do not iron!!!

1 Like

I know about the Aussie Rules Guernseys!

The Channel Island Guernseys can be found at www.guernseywoollens.com

I wear mine a lot! Great fit and very comfortable.

Jersey shirley

Dhera it may have developed another skin or two over time I suppose. This man was actual to the best of my memory and hardly alone.
Geansaí - Ghyanzee.
Now I’m out before someone asks you what you’re wearing at the minute!

@ustix : I didn’t know it was that sort of site. For what it’s worth I’m wearing the same sort of jumper as in my profile photo only Navy blue. …

Thank you for the pronunciation guide and I’m glad to hear that the old chap in question really existed!!!

Do Aran jumpers protect you from Covid?

1 Like

Now that would be nice …

I’m having my jab :syringe: mid-week!

Aran jumpers would sneeze at the covid

1 Like