Happy Sept 18th

Did you really think we’d win - be honest now:
Before game just delighted to be back in final. At HT thought we were in with great chance. After 63 mins thought it was drifting away. Once we got the goal thought we’d take them

Your feelings at half time:
See above.

First person you hugged at the final whistle:
Lads I’ve been going to every game with for donkeys years and then the nearest 100 people on the Hill

First person you rang:
My Dad. Though actually think he rang me.

Who did you go to the match with:
See above

Who do you wish you could have gone to the match with & why:
Was with people who I’d suffered with over the years. So was and has been great to enjoy our wins with the same bunch of lads. And also it must be said the same people from around Dublin who stand in the same part of the Hill for every game. Really decent bunch of lads around where we go.

Where were your first post match libations:
Mulligans and then n to the Boars Head I think it was. Was some atmosphere around the city centre that evening.

Did you go over to the Burlo/Merrion Square:
Merrion Sq couple with a few very enjoyable pints in ODonoghues on Baggot St

Have you any AI final traditions/superstitions that you carry over from final to final:
Bought one of those big flags going up to the Hill that day and have done with my young lad every year up to this year. Have 5 of the bleedin things at home now. Decide this year as it was only Tyrone we were playing didn’t need to buy the flag!! Sorry Daller only joking :grinning:

Have you changed your underwear since: yes many times!

Sure I’ve told ye that for the last number of years …

I thought when gooch put Kerry ahead by 4 that was it. I said to my mate that’s it gallant effort but came up short as usual. The emotional punches that followed Christ . The goal , equalizing point , ahead by 1 , donaghy s point ( the brother maintains it was a Hail Mary ) and what more can be said about clucko s point.
The hapenny inn for a great night with long suffering Dublin fans who we know for years . I remember 2 Westmeath lads who went to the final who were full of yer were lucky talk so told them to ■■■■ off back to the midlands they were in the wrong place for that malarkey. Best 10 mins ever on the hill.

Funnily enough a Kerryman told me them exact words outside Fagans that evening :joy::joy:

Did you really think we’d win - be honest now:
Prob not based on the previous years of hurt - just delighted to be in and at an all ireland final- last game i was confident of winning was mayo in 2006 and that turned out well - so even now no matter who we are playing in significant games , i have a knot in my stomach

Your feelings at half time:
glimmer of hope - but felt we should have been further ahead as we had the better of the half

First person you hugged at the final whistle:
My wife - last game she was at - she told me to get the head up around the 60 min mark !
First person you rang:
Was living in Galway at the time , so Prob text an old boss , who after the minor final had text me 2 out of 3 - as we had lost the hurling and football minor finals - he’s a nice man and was winding me up.

Prob rang / or my cousin that got me the ticket rang me after the game

Who did you go to the match with:
Managed to get a ticket from my cousin from meath who is a prominent chap in the handball.
As i said was working and living in galway for 7 years at that stage and a company from dublin use to come up and calibrate weighing balances on the weekend , got on well with them as i signed their time sheets which disguised and early finish on the saturday and late start on the sunday - but the work always got done - anyway they always said to give them a shout to get tickets for leinster games and for all irelands they have a draw. I gave them a shout that year to be included in the draw and was given 2 tickets straight away - on the basis of us buying 150K worth of balances off them earlier that year - goes against the ethics policys but my take was that it was after the fact and it was the dubs.

Gave my other ticket to my mate - who i managed to sort out in 2015 also - he always remembers that.
Who do you wish you could have gone to the match with & why:
Few of the lads were out for the day but didn’t have tickets - to be fair they werent too upset as they wouldnt have gone to most games - well all bar 1 of the lads

Managed to get down and meet my mate in the lower cusack afterwards and he was the second person i hugged

Where were your first post match libations:
i dont know - we ended up in the oval on abbey st - borrowed the cardboard cut out of B Brogan and brought him to coppers - we had to put him in the cloakroom. alas he was never seen again.

Did you go over to the Burlo/Merrion Square:
went to go into merrion square but ended up int he confession box with a heap of the lads from here - great night

Have you any AI final traditions/superstitions that you carry over from final to final:
yes - ever game we have to go to clearys pub on amien st - my mate has to buy eclairs in croker. otherwise we will loose

Have you changed your underwear since:
only cause my arse is bigger

1 Like

Did you really think we’d win - be honest now: Yes, I knew we had them
Your feelings at half time: Nervous but still think we had it. Think I had a quick pint, dont usually bother with a half time pint at matches
First person you hugged at the final whistle: Me mate Hefti
First person you rang: No idea, but my phone was hoping because I was in the TV at the end of the match coverage. Not as good looking as Joxer though
Who did you go to the match with: Nephew, Hefti & his son. We bought 4 season tickets in 2009. Was also with a good few lads before and after the match that go to most matches, plus a load of fair weather fans from Skerries who somehow always manage to get tickets for the finals!
Who do you wish you could have gone to the match with & why: No one else
Where were your first post match libations: Clearys as always
Did you go over to the Burlo/Merrion Square: Nope, better craic in Skerries and the week that followed!
Have you any AI final traditions/superstitions that you carry over from final to final: Clearys! Changed from Lloyds that year I think after someone went to start on Hefti cause his son who was 11 at the time bumped into a table and spilled less than a mouthful of his pint
Have you changed your underwear since: Still have the same ones but they are a little bit tight now!

Still brings a tear to my eye. The happiest moment I have ever epereicned in sport. Will never forget it, no matter what happens.

1 Like

I’ve a distinct memory of the half time scoring stat - Kerry only got 2 scores from play in the entire half, a Gooch goal and point (I think) and the rest of their scores came from frees. For the aristocrats of the game, expected by all to blow us out of the water, it wasn’t a great return.

Like a child hanging on to their blankee, I distinctly remember repeating that stat to anyone near me, as well as the 9845 relations and friends it feels like I rang at half time to calm the nerves. Cousin (who couldn’t get a ticket) texted me that Pat Spillane had said as much in the half time, that Kerry should have been ahead by more. The arrogant plick never came out and said he was flat out worried, but HE SHUDDA BEEN …MUH WUH HUH HUH…:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

no plans to answer your own questionnaire ??

Oh alright then…

Did you really think we’d win - be honest now: Wouldn’t go so far as to say yes, but I was no where as pessimistic as the other know it alls in my family. Maybe, because unlike any of them, I wasn’t actually at any of the horror shows prior to 2011

Your feelings at half time: See above post.

First person you hugged at the final whistle: No idea. A wide variety of total strangers. Giddy up !

First person you rang: The brother away off on his holibobs in 'Murica, the thick eegit.

Who did you go to the match with: Two Limerick cousins that I’m very close to, but we were all scattered throughout the ground.

Who do you wish you could have gone to the match with & why: The aforementioned thick eegit in 'Murica. Risked life and limb (and the wrath of Mammy) bringing me to my first final in '83.

Where were your first post match libations: Coke & v greasy burger & chips from a chipper van on Clonliffe Road. Then an ice cold Corona or 10 in the Clonliffe House. It was a very warm, muggy day and no cold drink has ever tasted better. Then a v large brandy in Meaghers as the aforementioned burger and beers got to know each other in a tummy that hadn’t seen solid foot in 2 days. Pre match nerves are A BITCH.

Did you go over to the Burlo/Merrion Square: Merrion Sq. Will never forget Kev Mc’s song. Remember how confused everyone was…a Dubs homecoming, where do we go, what happens, how does it work, where’s Sam, when will I get to hold him and get my picture took with him…it was all so new. We could probably all plan a homecoming in our sleep now.

Have you any AI final traditions/superstitions that you carry over from final to final: Not a final tradition as such, but I never wear a Dubs jersey to a game. Wore one for the firs time, to the Mayo semi in 2012 and we all know how that went down, so will never wear one to a game ever again. Will wear a Dubs training top or sweatshirt, just never a jersey.

Have you changed your underwear since: Depends what you mean by underwear Rodders !

1 Like

Connolly’s handpass at 4.50 is exceptional. Sliding on one knee after being half dispossessed with two more lads rushing at him, and he manages to pop it off nonchalantly to help set up Bernard’s point off his left foot. Compared to some of eyecatching long range passes and points he’s scored doesn’t look like much, but it’s just the ease at which he does it that makes it so remarkable in my opinion.

1 Like

Also the work rate from the restart after Nolan’s point to the turnover in front of our goal was phenomenal.

2 Likes

Yeah that was an amazing passage of play and unbelievable defensive discipline.

Brought me da’s ashes to it , couldn’t get on feild obviously but managed to scatter them round where i was sitting .He was a huge dubs fan brough me everywhere to see them up and down the country. If he was still alive he would have been made up with our success now.

5 Likes

Gottting to watch last 10 mins now on youtube !!

No matter how many times I watch it, my heart rate still goes up, I still get goosebumps.

1 Like

Get to know a Resser - The All Ireland Final Version.

Did you really think we’d win - be honest now: Going to the game I was hopeful, but when Cooper put them 4 up I remember saying to my daughter that it looked all over but at least we had put it up to them for an hour.
Your feelings at half time:I was happy enough that we were still in it.
First person you hugged at the final whistle:My daughter, followed by several random strangers.
First person you rang:I text a mate from Wexford that always sent me a good luck text before Dublin games. He went to a lot of the early 90’s games with us when he was working in town.
Who did you go to the match with: Son and daughter.
Who do you wish you could have gone to the match with & why:a friend that used to travel with us in the 80’s and 90’s to all the games. sadly no longer with us.
Where were your first post match libations:Didn’t stop anywhere but enjoyed a few bottles watching the Sunday game that night.
Did you go over to the Burlo/Merrion Square:No, but went over to Skerries Harps on the Monday night
Have you any AI final traditions/superstitions that you carry over from final to final: Not really, but had worn the same top to all the games that year, so made sure I was wearing it for the final.
Have you changed your underwear since:Once or twice…
strong text

I never watch it back - too afraid Steo might miss it this time…

16 seconds… I think I remember counting it back and if I’m not mistaking it’s 16 seconds from when Cluxton is thrown the ball to when he strikes it. Biggest kick of his life, in to the Hill to Win the AI for Dublin … and he does just that in 16 seconds… incredible!