Leinster SHC 2021 Dublin V Galway, O'Moore Park, 03.07.2021, 2.00pm

We played the best hurling we have all year at the weekend but this a big step up in quality. There are a few potential issues that Antrim didn’t expose which could be put to the test on Saturday. Hope the lads can perform.

Bookies have it as 4/1 for us to win and Galway to win by 7 or more. I would probably go along with this in the main even though they were wrong about Antrim getting within a few of us and also the Waterford vs Clare game yesterday where they had the Blaaas as strong favourites.

Galway by 5 I will say.

1 Like

Single figure defeat and a rattle off one of the beaten Munster teams be the height of it for us I feel. Pity there’s no round robin, much better chance of taking a scalp or two obviously

1 Like

Yea hopefully Leinster will get back to round robin from next year. Wouldn’t mind a cut at Waterford based on yesterday. They should’ve beeen well beaten but for clare hitting 22 wides.

Hope we get at Galway, we’ve shored up a lot in defense (touch wood) and have scored a few goals, hopefully we can keep that trend going.

1 Like

A performance is all I ask for. If that means a 5 point defeat so be it.

One of their lads has a great day and a double digit defeat so be it, once we put in a decent performance.

If we do that I wouldn’t fear any team in the losers bracket.

3 Likes

Have had some good results vGalway in the past but I think they are now a lot stronger than they were when they won in 2017. They don’t rely on Canning as much which seem to make him more effective from a distance.
With Whelan, Concannon, Niland, Mannion etc, our backs will have a torrid time of it.
I can also see the new rule regarding pulling down a forward, coming into it big time.(It cost Waterford dearly yesterday). And Shefflin reckoned the ref got it badly wrong!

1 Like

Yea Galway seem to be shaping up into a serious year, could come close.

So unless the league was not a good guide, or maybe our game last weekend will stand to us, hopefully we can push them. I’ve a feeling a few worries I have about our current selection might be exposed, but hope not.

1 Like

Last Saturday’s performance will certainly give them a big boost, particularly Danny who had his best game in a long time. As mentioned, the backs have tightened up a lot so if they give it their all and try not concede too much early on, who knows.

1 Like

Would be a little worried about pace on the right side of our defense. We’re still hitting boland with long loopy high ball a lot, it’s not his forte, could his pace be used in midfield and get a better fielder into the Hf line?

Would be worried about playing Galway in general and looser playing waterford (i think)

Key here is to give a really good account of ourselves and go into the next game on the back of a could performance. Would be more confident of catching Waterford asleep than Galways

2 Likes

Just in a glass have empty mood with the hurling , I know the u20s win was a great tonic and a decent display against Antrim , but its Galway a whole different game, would be in line with most posters , show some game , show some pride , make them work their arse off if theyre to beat us.give us something to build on going into next game if it is a defeat.
Love nothing better than to be on here next week eating humble pie

5 Likes

Very hard to know what will happen. Galway obviously have the better hurlers. What we need to do is turn up the intensity from minute 1. Give them nothing easy. Our most recent championship record against decent opposition is poor. Portlaoise is a small enough i think pitch so hopefully this suits us. We cannot allow them get easy puckouts. Need to pressure their deliveries in because if they deliver good ball into the corners the game will be over at half time. Need to minimise the simple mistakes and we need to try get goals. Id be concerned about the lack of pace in our team because Galway are like greyhounds. Id take a good performance and see how it goes. Definitely not optimistic just hope we can compete and keep it tight enough and not concede goals.

2 Likes

Is it confirmed loser plays Waterford or is there a draw to be made? Galway are a serious team, as said above, possibly better than when they won it. Likes of Nyland and Concannon are serious finds. Whelan and Mannion are top class and Joe is Joe! No shame losing to them, provided we go as well as we can. Unfortunately we might have to accept a moral victory and go again. Galway and Limerick just a level above even the likes of Tipp, KK, Cork, Clare etc, all of whom are capable of bearing each other on any giving day. If we could get in to that category we’d be happy enough.

1 Like

Rumours that game has been moved to Cromer. A few more tickets should be floating around if that’s the case.

Confirmed

3 Likes

Brilliant news

1 Like

Great news about people at the game. The pitch/venue change i think will suit Galway.

4 Likes

Ah that’s great, bit ridiculous looking at the soccer and the 200 at Gaelic games

4 Likes

Agreed. Atleast it will feel like a proper Summer Champo game. But its probably worth a few extra point to the Gaillimhins alright

If any one has a spare ticket, can we give LJ it, preferably in amongst the muck savages. Look forward to reading that report.

8 Likes

Tbf to the gaa moving the match to a cold English seaside town will mean more than 8000 will be able to go.