National Football League 2017

Agree with this. League for pricking around with and giving the panel a nice big run out.

1 Like

I agree with it too. Ze problem is that, going by previous years, Jim Gavin doesn’t seem to agree with it, if ya get me.

Have to remember as well , there’s no semis this year I think . So if we are gonna give guys a rest , it would be better to place outside top two and give them an extra couple of weeks off before the summer . But going on the past since '11 the good league run has been beneficial. We are also away for four games . It might not be in our hands to finish top two . Maybe Mayo & Kerry decide they will give it a right go this year . Still I’d imagine Jim will want to win it .

Happy Christmas lads. I enjoy reading and seeing the views from the other side…good job I have thick skin :wink: I’m hoping 2017 can be the year. Up Mayo.

5 Likes

We[quote=“Unbelievable, post:43, topic:1067, full:true”]
Have to remember as well , there’s no semis this year I think . So if we are gonna give guys a rest , it would be better to place outside top two and give them an extra couple of weeks off before the summer . But going on the past since '11 the good league run has been beneficial. We are also away for four games . It might not be in our hands to finish top two . Maybe Mayo & Kerry decide they will give it a right go this year . Still I’d imagine Jim will want to win it .
[/quote]

In four years, we have played 36 league games under Jim Gavin. We have only lost 5 of them. We have failed to finish out of the top four just once. History does not point towards our having a poor league campaign in 2017. Winning has become such a habit now, we go at league games hammer and tongs, in ways that other counties just don’t. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing, we’ll find out come the summer.

I may be wrong but I think Jim has had a policy of making 3 changes at least (either personnel or positional) to the team per game during the regulation games in the league. I think this is a prudent approach and may unearth a player for next year or possibly bring on one or two for championship from last year. I certainly want see us go at the league, we learn more from it than Leinster.

If that’s the case Gavin out! :smile: Seriously though looking forward to the league this year to see if he does relax or go at it. He has to have some sort of cunning plan.

In four years, we have played 36 league games under Jim Gavin. We have only lost 5 of them. We have failed to finish out of the top four just once. History does not point towards our having a poor league campaign in 2017. Winning has become such a habit now, we go at league games hammer and tongs, in ways that other counties just don’t. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing, we’ll find out come the summer.
[/quote]

History doesn’t point towards winning a 3 in a row either . Just saying

Being very cryptic, I experienced something last weekend which makes me think the League will be less paramount this year than others. 3 in a row will be the focus.

1 Like

In 2013, we did the three in a row in Leinster

In 2015, we did the three a row in the league

In 2017…

Are you sensing a pattern there? :wink:

3 Likes

Flynner was very positive about next year in his podcast . From the sounds of it they want the 3 in a row . He talked about the hurt of the Donegal game a lot & how it spurred them onto the back to back .If we don’t find a reliable partner for Fenton then we could see Flynn there next year . Hopefully Costello & Con are given a good run out . Although with Cuala doing well we may not see that .Bryne has been given his run & did well , it won’t be a case of him thrown into the deep end now . Fitzy could have won his place back now so will be interesting to see keeps this spot . As PD said , towards the business end of the league we usually see the guys who will be lining out for the championship . I’d be happy if Costello took Bernards spot tbh but he has to back it up now .

End of the league? This was the named starting line up for the Mayo game in Castlebar.

Stephen Cluxton
Jonny Cooper
Michael Fitzsimons
David Byrne
James McCarthy
John Small
Davey Byrne
Cian O’Sullivan
Denis Bastick
Tomás Brady
Diarmuid Connolly
Ciaran Kilkenny
Paddy Andrews
Dean Rock
Paul Mannion

This was in Round 2. O’Conaigle and Philly were late replacements for Cian and Davy Byrne. Jack Mc, Shane Carthy, Reddin, Costello, Daly all came off the bench. That’s a pretty strong line, up for a game in horrible conditions on the 5th of February. I can see Gavin going with very strong lineups against Mayo and Kerry. Keep the foot on their throats. Lay down a marker and all that. But going with a more experimental against the Roscommons and the Cavans.

Sorry must have took you up wrong :upside_down_face:. In the past though he has put out a mixture of new guys & regulars in the early rounds .

I think Gavin usually puts out strong teams again the top teams, no matter when we play them. He dosent like losing to them at any time.
Away to Cork in the league is the only game where I can remember he took off a lot of guys and put on the younger kids, we lost that game from a comfortable position.
Next year is a bit of the unknown with the top 2 only involved .
Jim can afford to rest some guys , but yet still put out reasonably strong enough teams.
Jack mc Caffrey will want to get back in, Cormack Costello will want to stake a claim. Loundes I’d imagine will feature quite a bit. Con o Callaghan might have a decision.
Midfield will be a challenge.
If Fenton is rested we will struggle. Although he is still a young guy so Jim might want to play him. Mdmc had being a sub over the last two years and maybe he will want to hit the ground running from early in the year.
I guess OBC might allow one or two suprise starters to come through. Time will tell.

1 Like

I’m reading quite a bit into the team going on holidays in January rather than Dec - like, doing a Kerry on this years league.

1 Like

I don’t think that is anything new to be honest. Were they not away on holidays during the O’Byrne cup a couple of years ago too, not sure about last year as I didn’t get to any O’B games but definitely were 2/3 years ago.

1 Like

I heard they fly out in and around new year to Jamaica - Bernard brogan getting married in a few days also - I think their back by the second week in January

I don’t doubt that the league might be given lesser ( by Gavin’s standards ) priority than normal in favour of the senior players properly rested for going for a three in row but they may be also factoring in players availability for a team holiday - I know Connolly and some of the students are going this time which was t always possible in a early December team holiday

2 Likes

I would like to see something like this

1 Mick Savage

2 Mick Fitzsimons 3 Jarlath Curley 4 Rob
McDaid
5 Eric Lowndes 6 John Small 7 Jack McCaffrey
8 Brian Fenton 9 Shane Carthy (Mearnog)
10 Cormac Costello 11 Ciaran Kilkenny 12 Shane Carthy (Vincents)
13 Paul Mannion 14 Eoin O’Gara 15 Con O’Callaghan
16 Lorcan Molloy 17 Darren Daly 18 Paddy Andrews 19 Dave Byrne(Olafs) 20 Emmet O’ Conghaile 21 Tomas Brady 22 Graham Hannigan 23 Niall Scully 24 Conor McHugh.

If the lads can’t play bring in Sean Currie as a goalie to the panel. Shane Clayton and Cillian O’Shea in as backs. Ciaran Reddin as a midfielder half forward and Chris Sallier in as a forward. Dean Rock and Davey Byrne(Kickhams) Ross McGowan Philip Ryan Michael Deegan also . Rest Cluxton , Cooper , O’Sullivan, McCarthy, McMahon, MacAuley, Flynn, Connolly, McManamon, Brogan until March or April . They deserve the break. You could see do well with that panel there.

None of the Vincents players will be with the panel until at least after February 4th and hopefully not until after March 17th. Even if they lose the semi they won’t be thrown in immediately. Con O’Callaghan won’t be available until at least the end of February.

Sean McMahon(Raheny) Andrew Foley(Clontarf) Paddy Small(Ballymun) are three more promising young players.