New Dublin GAA Book

Came across a new Dublin GAA book in Easons today by Gerry Callen. It’s a book of records of every Dublin football team that ever played a championship (senior,junior, under 21 and minor) or National League match from 1887 right up to this year’s All Ireland final. Fantastic book which is well worth getting for the Dublin Football nerd. Hopefully the Hurling records will soon follow :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Sounds good. What’s it called ?

I cannot see that happening. No money to be made from recalling hurling teams. Very low fanbase.

Nice idea though

Full Title is "The Dubs. The complete record of Dublin Football 1887 to 2017"
Now you can find out the score of the Corn na Casca final v Louth 1967!

1 Like

I had a look at it Wednesday , definitely one for the likes of @Stato82.

He wouldn’t bother reading it, he’d have all that in his head!

1 Like

He probably wrote it…

4 Likes

Ah we’re not that bad.

1 Like

I was having a look at it, a massive amount of stats, results in particular. was going to pick it up for the daughter but i went with “Jayo” instead, it was only a flick through but it looked like about 60+% of the book was stats

This book is great - I LOVE it.

If, for example you’re the type of person who in the middle of a family/work crisis, find yourself losing focus because you’ve suddenly realised that you can’t remember what position Brian Mullin’s played in the opening league game of Gerry McCaul’s reign in Oct 1986 V Meath in Croke Park - then THIS IS THE BOOK FOR YOU!

I got it about 3 weeks ago and I’m still picking it up every second day and browsing through it.

Outside of teams and stats, there’s big chapters of actual “writing” concerning keys players from through the decades - which are well written and very interesting.

It’s not for everyone, but if you want to know what Dublin teams lined out in whatever match from whatever decade, and who scored what, then this is the one. It’s clearly a labour of love and very nicely produced too.

It’s a book I’ll be returning to again and again!

3 Likes

I bought the book for my young one as she was sick of me talking about some of the player’s from 70’s through to now and not having an idea about them. Now if I mention how good Gerry Hargan was and that Ballymun have stocked us so well over the years at fullback she can just go look it up :grinning:

4 Likes

I see Mickey Whelan has book due out next month.

2 Likes

Excellent. I hope he covers 1996-97 in detail. Would love to know his side of his management reign.

1 Like

It would be great to get his take on Dessie Farrells management so far…

1 Like

I passed Mickey Whelan while we were both taking a stroll on the Clontarf Promenade during the summer, and it struck me that the guy hasn’t aged a day since I first became aware of his existence in 1996. That’s over 25 years ago!

I’ll have whatever he’s having.

3 Likes

I passed him at the back of the Cusack at half time last August as I walked smugly about waiting for the second half.

1 Like

Saw him talking to mick deegan after the drawn game in 19 . Looks in good shape alright. As did mick in fairness.

John O’Leary and Dessie weren’t very complimentary towards Mickey in their books.

I remember reading an interview with Mickey years ago. When he was selector with seniors and Dessie managing minors who had drill set up before minor game. Mickey walking by joked sure there were doing same drills when he was Dublin manager.

The Ard Chomhairle was closed that day?

arrogantly, even… :smiley:

1 Like