New Rule Changes

Folks, looking for clarification. Are all the New rules this year in Hurling & Football applicable at all Age Groups?

Getting conflicting information from Ref’s. Young lad played U.13 hurling challenge last weekend, player brought down going for Goal, Ref gave Peno & Sin Bin. Same thing last night (not same player), Ref gives Peno, no Sin Bin, told us Rule only for Inter County level.

1 Like

Black card foul inside the 20 that denies a goal scoring oppurtunity and awarding of a penalty is in Senior Intercounty games only.

Rest are in for all levels

1 Like

Motion 20 @LiamMac

1 Like

That’s what I thought on Motion 20, yet, it was applied on Saturday.

1 Like

A ref watching too much TV

2 Likes

I’ll be keeping the screenshot for the weekend :joy:

1 Like

The offensive mark is only if the forwards call for it am I right ? Bit of confusion during our u14 game sat. Twice at least the ref awarded it automatically and tbh it probably prevented goals on both occasions. The players at the age they re not looking for it.

The referee is to blow his whistle when a mark is there to be taken. The player either plays on or raises his hand to take his “mark free”. If player stops and doesnt raise his hand he can be done for over carrying.

1 Like

Applies at U14 as well. Ref was correct to award it player decides if he wants to claim it by raising arm. Players do not have to stop however we’ve brought kids up telling them to play to the whistle and now this…

3 Likes

They were nt looking for it. They were just playing on but he stopped it and I m nearly sure he told the young fella ( opposition player) to raise his arm. I ve no issue refs telling young fellas rules or reasons for decisions that’s grand but it confirmed to me it’s not a good rule. The midfield mark fine for encouraging fielding at juvenile level but I think both rules could go from minor up.

1 Like

No need to stop the play by him. He should have blown the whistle and let the players decide.

I am against the attacking mark as a whole but referees should at least have a basic idea of the rule and not confuse players with their misunderstanding of it.

2 Likes

A defender or goalkeeper can claim a mark too lads from a ball kicked outside the 45m line that travels 20 metres. A lot of players and managers don’t know this. A ref blows the whistle to signal that the player who caught the ball has made a mark - it is up to the player to either a) take the mark by putting his hand up or b) play on.

1 Like

Very interesting, so if a forward takes a 45, drops short into keepers hands, the keeper can call a mark instead of trying to fight his way out?

No, as the advance mark is from open play only.

High ball put in from outside the 45 a keeper or defender can catch and claim the mark .

4 Likes

The offensive / defensive mark has no business being anywhere near a juvenile game. It’s bad enough at adult, kids do not need the confusion.

3 Likes