Past Pupil GAA Clubs

Dived down a small rabbit hole over the past couple of weeks, and have realised just how many past pupil gaa clubs have existed over the course of the GAA’s history in Dublin.
As of current, I’ve got a (very) small list of GAA clubs (past and present) who have historically been past pupil clubs/have a school referenced in their name/draw the majority of their playerbase from a particular school.

Perhaps i should have posted in the Old Dublin Clubs thread, so feel free to move there if that suits better :+1:

Synge Street PP GFC (merged into TSS in '99)
O’Connell Boys (merged with St Joseph’s in 1989. Initially drew players from O’Connells Boys Youth Club - possibly related to O’Connell schools?)
Scoil Ui Chonaill - “founded in 1950 by Brother Jim Scully, Principal of O’Connell School, initially to provide Gaelic games for pupils and past pupils of O’Connell School.” (Wikipedia)

Not trying to do any analysis/working on a project that is related to past pupil clubs in Dublin, just curious how many of them have existed in the past.
If you know of any more feel free to post below?

1 Like

An Caisleán formed for pupils and past pupils in Drimnagh Castle CBS. Merged with Guinness and became St James Gaels in 1994.

Naomh Eanna based in Ard Scoil Eanna (aka The Hen house) on Crumlin Road. Went out of existence about 20 years ago.

St Michael’s and James. One club from two schools - St Michaels CBS Inchicore (based in what was Richmond Barracks of 1916 fame) and St James CBS of Basin Lane. They along with Donore Isogain (Donore Ave CBS) merged in 1990s to become Liffey Gaels.

7 Likes

Clann colaiste Mhuire played out of Islandbridge where St Brendans are now

3 Likes

Rosmini Gaels too.

1 Like

Why did you say that about Br Jim Scully @Jake ??

Good thread btw.

2 Likes

Played couple seasons with Clann Col Mhuire, always thought they became Clann Mhuire. Brendan’s now using Islandbridge pitches. Did Camp out there couple years back, long time since I’d been in the ground.

1 Like

Clann used to wear Eason’s bag jerseys and warmed up as Gaeilge.

1 Like

Yep, not the easiest on the eye.

As far as I remember, Ballyfermot De La Salle originated from the local DLS national school

2 Likes

I just always assumed DLS was a parish name thing, similar to St Marks of Springfield (local schools are both called St Marks too, soccer club is Marks Celtic, etc.)

Ballyfermot was the extended parish but the DLS refers to the local De La Salle national school which, in days long past, was closely linked to the club.

1 Like

They used to hate when you spoke to them “as Gaelige”. I think they felt their world had been infiltrated and that you would know their tactics.

1 Like

It was mostly pupils & past pupils from Coláiste Mhuire, naturally most would speak Irish.

2 Likes

I thought they were 2 separate clubs one being from the school and the other from north county dublin.

1 Like

I always thought Clann Coláiste Mhuire became Clann Mhuire. Clann Coláiste Mhuire must have folded so.

1 Like

Yeah I knew a few of them.

1 Like

The school moved beside St. Declan’s and has girls now as well

1 Like

They took girls in when they were in Parnell Sq. My youngest sister was in the first group of girls in Col Mhuire.

Two separate clubs altogether.

1 Like

??