Should Cunningham stay?

Should Ger Cunningham stay ? Cunningham to discuss Dublin future with county board chiefs http://bit.ly/2aqgQW1 #dublin #gaa
Hope it doesn’t take long,

No. Beyond everything else we need Sutcliffe and we need a clean start for everybody. Too much low level mumbling of discontent and disunity.

2 Likes

Could be a very good discussion, maybe I am being pre-emotive but I suspect it will plunge into the nether regions of debate fairly quickly.

My vote is that he should go, or modify his approach. By his approach I mean both tactically and man management wise. Tactically what he has now is ok as one option, but it can only ever be one option out of a few.

Man management wise, I think the issues are clear enough and discussed at length here.

1 Like

A[quote=“Wifi, post:3, topic:766, full:true”]
Could be a very good discussion, maybe I am being pre-emotive but I suspect it will plunge into the nether regions of debate fairly quickly.

My vote is that he should go, or modify his approach. By his approach I mean both tactically and man management wise. Tactically what he has now is ok as one option, but it can only ever be one option out of a few.

Man management wise, I think the issues are clear enough and discussed at length here.
[/quote]

He is an old school man manager. He is what he is & the DCB knew what they were getting when they gave him the job. It just hasn’t worked out as they hoped. Expecting him to change his nature over night, is about as realistic as expecting Bart to refrain from calling people vendetta harbouring fool & idiots, as soon as he sees this thread.

4 Likes

I would like him to stay to continue his blooding of younger players, I would agree with wifi that he probably needs to change his approach. The big one for me is if he and Danny can sit down together and put their differences aside then I would like GC to stay, if not, perhaps he should move on. But overall I would be happy enough with what he has done so far and would like him to have one more year.

We were told all would change in Clare with Donal Og arriving. Nothing changed at all. People tend to be who they are and they don’t tend to change much.

Another manager could continue blooding players in a calmer environment.

2 Likes

Gotta go

Him going won’t get certain people a recall.

it also won’t stop lads going on the piss 48 hours before a championship match .

But that’s probably the managers fault too

1 Like

He is an old school man manager. He is what he is & the DCB knew what they were getting when they gave him the job. It just hasn’t worked out as they hoped. Expecting him to change his nature over night, is about as realistic as expecting Bart to refrain from calling people vendetta harbouring fool & idiots, as soon as he sees this thread.
[/quote]

Heaven forbid if anyone should have a differing opinion . At least noted posters like Uroy for example don’t think I’m off the wall on this issue . I take comfort in that .

Too much ham(ming it) and not enough cunning. Limited opportunites for puns too. Gotta go. Pay off the Ger-bill, I’d say he’s mad for road(ent).

I dont see why he should go. We are re building and he is getting through that.

Whilst all here are saying the opposite, please do offer an alternative (that will actually take the job, no wishlists!! )

Joe Fortune has done sterling work with the 21s for a few years now. The players that have passed through his hands by all accounts love him. So that would do me. He knows them inside out. So why not?

I’ve no interest in people who create division. It’s happening very close to home at the moment and is ruining a very good team.

So Joe Fortune if he wants it would be fine by me.

3 Likes

He’s got to go. The style played was alien to Dublin. How can a player not a starter for his club be played at county level ? I think he’s trying (failing) to be too clever. AOC - I’d agree with you regarding Joe

2 Likes

So Daly’s style of playing a two man full forward line worked better? More often then not it didn’t.

What exactly is Dublin’s style ? How do you define a county’s style?

He hasn’t beaten anybody of note. If he wins the AI u21 then he’ll be a contender.

The minor management for me this year have a better track record.

Ger tried to get us to play Newtownshandrum’s style of hurling. It failed. His man-management failed. His positional tamperings did not work. He fielded a team that could not win a puck out. He advertised the short puck out strategy in challenge matches but had no plan B. Yes he introduced some players but he had no choice in that, given the numbers unavailable for whatever reason. He has to go.

1 Like

I think it’s worth another year. We stayed in Div 1 and the rest was no worse than any of Dalo’s bad years.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be counting on Danny coming just because Cunningham leaves. Their falling out was one of the reasons he stepped away but certainly not the only one.

1 Like

[/quote]

That is a very good point - what did the DCB think they were getting? If Cunningham is doing what he said he would at the interview stage, or maybe even what he was told to do when he got the job, then the fault isn’t Cunningham’s. But if he went in and told them in the next three years he will improve where this team is at (which is how I assume the interview went), then to me it looks very likely he is going the wrong way about it. But, like in everything, unless we know the full facts it is very difficult to judge.

I doubt the DCB gave him the job with the instruction to utilise his old school approach to such an extent as to alienate senior players - but I could be wrong. There could be all sort of politics at play going back maybe to the attempted choice of managers before Cunningham came on the scene. I hope not, but you never know.

But - if we get everyone back next year, we possibly have such a strong 15 or 18 that even an old school manager will make progress. We have real talent available if it is on the field.

As to your latter point - unfortunately that is just the price we all have to pay (it seems) for participating on this otherwise excellent forum.

I don’t like the way Ger is doing things! As was said already his style of play is to predictable and there is no Plan B. Man management skills are non existent. In fairness he has tried things (positional changes and introduction of youth) But this Cork style of hurling is out dated. Look where Cork are at right now! Outside the top 6 IMO. So should he stay or should he go? Well there is no point in sending him packing unless we have someone better to replace him. Joe Furtune could be an option provided he has time to commit to the job. Big step up from 21’s to senior from a time factor. Maybe the county board have sounded someone else out. Time will tell. But for me I think he should go!

1 Like