Staycations

Where are everyones favourite places in Ireland to holiday? I personally will be reluctant to travel overseas for quite a while so going forward will be taking in the views we have at home. Would love to hear of hidden gems or not so hidden gems.

1 Like

Love waterford and along the copper coast stunning.Have to say too many to choose from.Spoilt for choice…

My old chief of staff (my dad)before the missus
always said what was the point of going forign until you seen 'all your own counties.

Great times and choices ahead.

Castlegregory, Dingle peninsula, Kerry.

I’ve never looked forward to seeing a village again, so much, in all my life.

2 Likes

Mother and brothers family currently Down the back of lough currane waterville…hoping sometime this summer please god…keeping me going…please note none and I mean NONE OF US are from Kerry.

1 Like

I know its a holiday thread but just to add…had the wedding night in Kenmare and did not follow through…if you know what I mean .Just waited till I got home to glasnevin north north west in the barony of castleknock.:laughing:Conceived in kerry . .not on your nelly.

1 Like

West Clare for us , mrs @Wasonthehill83 homeland. Stay in the mobile at White Strand near Spanish Point. Few pints in Friels , daily swim in the Atlantic, kids play with their country cousins and annoy their Grandparents.

1 Like

First off I wouldn’t go near Kerry, place is pure propoganda, Donegal, Mayo, Sligo, parts of Clare, Galway and even Cork far better for scenary. Then Wexford and Wicklow for how friendly and welcoming the people are.

Lovely spot.Stayed in Fanore beside the pub never forget the sunset.o donoghes if i can recall.

2 Likes

Disagree…all me counties and have loved them all equally.

1 Like

You beat me to it. Waterford is a great spot. City itself is worth a browse. Dunmore East beautiful. Dunhill/Annestown and lots of lovely villages on the coast all the way to West Waterford - Stradbally Cove is magnificent. Lismore is a nice town too and you have mountain walks in the Comeraghs. Greenway, Coumshingaun Lough followed by a blaa … it’s all there.

1 Like

Wicklow. Pretty much anywhere in the county. Don’t care. Even the bleedin’ dodgems in Bray are looking pretty good right now. :roll_eyes:

Then Kenmare, followed by Portmagee & the general Ballinskelligs Ring area down yonder Kerry way.

2 Likes

Love Carlingford but as soon as this is all over and it’s possible to do so, Dad is decamping all of us up to my grandfather’s homeplace, Annagry, which is an absolutely fantastic part of the country.

West Cork in general is lovely and Bantry is hard to beat on a summers evening. The entire Wild Atlantic Way is something is something I’d love to do maybe after this.

2 Likes

There’s not many things I’ll doff the cap to Cork for, but that part of the Atlas is astonishing.

2 Likes

Yep, I’m extremely fortunate in that my family comes from the Donegal Gaeltacht and West Cork. I never wanted for a sun holiday in Spain as a kid and I robably spent more time out of Dublin than in Dublin when school got out for the summer.

1 Like

Yeah it’s magic. Kerry gets the credit but parts of WC is just as nice. Bit remote for living but lovely for a holiday especially in the good weather.

2 Likes

Cahersiveen via Fanore and Doonbeg, where the boss man in buried. The Point Restaurant, in Renard, from where you get the ferry to Valentia, has amazing seafood and most agreeable Guinness! Lord, give us strength!

2 Likes

Unless your name is Michael Collins…

3 Likes

I’m sure he was enjoying his leisurely drive

Cheap shot there chief.

2 Likes