Super 8's: Road to glory or end of the Road?

He has a very good right foot too. I always felt Maurice was overrated tbh, did amazing things, not sure often enough. Matt Connor was magnificent, greatest Offaly sportsperson until now and he’s replaced by Shane Lowrys granny.

1 Like

Best forward I think I’ve ever seen is Canavan. Could Clifford turn out better than him? His underage (and senior ) career indicate he might do.

IMO. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

2 Likes

Indeed!

Anthony Cunningham very complimentary to the Dublin squad and set up in tonight’s Herald worth a read

I understand English, thanks. I don’t see how people make the leap from phenomenal underage player to potentially the best ever. Perhaps it’s just a sign of the times where everything is mega - either the very best or the absolute worst.

Anyhow I’m done with this. More power to him. A classy player and the real deal. I just hope they don’t pull him down as quickly as they’ve built him up.

Probably played on the poorest Kerry sides in their history to be fair to Maurice. He had a lot to do. Similar to Connolly a ridiculous level of natural talent but not seen as often as it should have been.

Canavan is a good shout but Matt Connor was for me the classiest of them all. Honourable mention to Pat Spillane as much as I can’t stand him - probably the best wing forward of all time.

Others I liked in modern times – Stephen O Neil ( class act) and Mc Donnell from Armagh ( should have retired sooner) Alan Brogan remains my personal favourite over the last 20 years from Dublin teams in terms of forwards.

3 Likes

I always had great respect for Paul Curran, felt he was one of the best players to pull on a Dublin shirt, badly under-rated.

Don t think Curran was under rated tbf . Got moved around a bit until 92 when he settled into the right wing back role. The 94 final fiasco which was nt of his making aside he had a great career. Great athlete as well as footballer he fit into the modern game well.

5 Likes

Jack McCaffrey “Mark 1”

1 Like

The whole 30k thing is a complete misquote of McKenna who was talking about a hypothetical scenario about the debt repayments and if there were only ever 10 games a year in Croke Park. It was taken out of context initially and misconstrued ever since.

2 Likes

and as we know the bitters will say how the GAA hare happy to open Croke Park at a loss for the dubs and all that rubbish.

1 Like

Just flaunting their own ignorance. Seems to be the fashion these days.

Imagine that they needed 30k attendance to break even - think about that for a minute. It make absolutely no sense. He was talking about how much money the stadium needed to generate per annum to repay the debt and if there were only 10 games there all year they would have needed 30k per game in that scenario to repay the debt and meet the overall running costs (not per day running costs).

Opening Croke park on any given day couldn’t cost anything like that much.

2 Likes

Goalkeeper for meath had a spare tyre before been blackcarded and replaced by his Da

5 Likes

There’s a couple of our lads who are very fond of a drink too and Jim seems to let them at it. Would imagine most people on here would be shocked at how often they go on the lash as a team during the season and even more shocked at how often some individuals do it.

1 Like

I was involved with an Intermediate team back in the day and saw two good players dropped for drinking 7 days before a championship match.

Our relationship as a sport and as a people with alcohol needs serious questioning.

Have they a dentist chair in Coppers? :wink:

1 Like

but you see, this emphasises the biggest factor in our successes this decade - Jim Gavin.

he 100% refuses to comply with the “accepted GAA wisdom” of how you manage teams, and he has long been ridiculed for it (although it started with the ipads during Gilroys time). Remember him being ridiculed for saying we were behind other teams for the following year after winning the all ireland and how he was already planning for it? If he is willing to let some lads off the leash, that could well be another part of it.

But some lads are of the opinion that you should do all your work on the back of a packet of carrolls and have lads push cars around fields and treat them like prisoners of war. Anything else smacks of “professionalism” and we dont like that sort of stuff round here.

3 Likes

You can’t sustain success off living a spartan lifestyle, or at least, it’s not fair to expect lads to live a spartan lifestyle in an amateur sport. lads have to be allowed live their lives as well. I’m delighted to hear he allows lads a few drinks during the season, the rugby lot do it as well. Not talking about 72 hour benders i’m sure but a few pints now and then. He was always good about guys going travelling and welcoming them back into the fold when they’re done saying they’ll have grown as individuals, Jack Flash, Mannion, O’Carroll and of course most recently Connolly.

2 Likes

I’m still awaiting my recall after my summer of picking strawberries in Wexford.

1 Like

yes, by treating them as adults and by trusting them he gets the reward back through mutual consent and loyalty.

Gavin saw and heard enough during the bad years, a thing that is constantly overlooked by our critics. he knows how not to do things.

you know, its funny how the only manager to beat JG was the one who most closely would follow his attention to detail and belief in a system.

its also funny how, 7 years on, we dont hear so many GAA media people and the vacuum heads on social media scoffing about “processes” and “systems” who’d have thunk it, maybe the man knew what he was talking about after all.

2 Likes