The Bukes Thread the second or the third?

Ok can’t find the old thread. But should I be buying this for Mayoman for his Kris Kindle?

Charlie Savage by Roddy Doyle

1 Like

Reading this at the moment, so far, so excellent…

1 Like

This is a very heavy read but brilliant. Point is, if you’ve suffered trauma your body remembers, not just your memory. Therefore talk therapy may not be enough, on its own, as a response. Apologies for a less than joyful suggestion but it may help someone on here:

https://images.app.goo.gl/JrtcvuThuEBzF44DA

2 Likes

Did @mayoman recommend that one to you?

2 Likes

Brilliant Beeko!! (I was suggesting it for him!!)

1 Like

Just finished Jackie Tyrrells book, great read!

1 Like

He’s an intense bloke @Chopper. Brought it on hols for a light read last year and ended up leathering lads in the swimming pool. Well they were from Cork.

1 Like

Really?

Suds law.

When I was at home at Xmas I bought four Donal Ryan novels. All short. All brilliant.
I had never heard of him until last year when I came across ‘From a Low and Quiet Sea’ in the new books section at Decatur Library in Georgia. He is quite brilliant. Highly recommended.

1 Like

I’m ok @beeko…despite all the knocks I don’t take life too seriously :wink:

1 Like

Seriously??

:smile::smile: good enough for them!!

1 Like

I am in a nuclear history phase at the moment. Am dipping in and out of doomsday men (about the scientists who built the atom and hydrogen bombs and how they inspired doctor straingelove) and two books by Duncan Campbell - war plan UK (which is very scary) and the unsinkable aircraft carrier. You learn a lot about the reality of the “special relationship” between the UK and USA from the latter and how the UK government planned for as many people in the uk as possible to die in a nuclear attack - but not the important ones. It is insanity but it’s true (and still probably policy)

If this sort of thing is interesting to you check out the atomic hobo podcast.

1 Like

Russians built very powerful rockets just couldn’t fuel them quick enough. Crazy crazy fucks. This is a great read.

9781598875232_p0_v3_s250x250

1 Like

Good shout

1 Like

I recommend you read William Gay. “The Long Home”. (1999). He was first published at age 56.
I just finished “The Lost Country”(2009)). Sadly he died in 2012. The man had a serious gift. Born and died in Hohenwald, Tennessee. In a log cabin. Rural.
Great way with the language. A treasure to read.

2 Likes