U17 Hurling 2022

The Leagues are up for u17 hurling.

1 Like

Matches down for 1:30 Sunday afternoon.
Interesting to see how that goes

1 Like

Some surprises with the league composition. Clontarf lost every game in D3 last year, but are now in D1.
Isles had a good 2021, and won the A shield, but are in D2.
Teams will likely be massively impacted by the unavailability of players who are on the minor hurling or football squads, who are effectively out until championship

Same every year with minor gradings, not sure what is actually reviewed while doing them. Even with U19 there is several teams who performed very well in Div 1 minor last year who are now div 2 for U19, does nothing really for the development of those teams.

3 Likes

I’d say there’s a lot of U.19 teams will be made up of lad’s that would have been 2nd year Minors and Club B Teams. Clubs will take the best players from last year’s Minor’s up to Adult.

3 Likes

I think Isles have 5 or 6 between football and hurling county panels. They pulled out of the 16s league in order to be able just to field at U17. Tight numbers for hurling at those age groups and take out their county players and they would be nowhere near a D1 team

4 Likes

Impressive stuff from Isles

2 Likes

We couldn’t field u17 with TD as 5 Dublin minor lads between fball and hurling , so went with u19 instead. I see Whitehall and brigids didn’t enter u19 either. A shame as all 4 clubs have been really improving at underage/adult hurling but fielding both age groups is very challenging.

4 Likes

I thought they had two U.16 teams last year?

Probably worded that wrong. The numbers to play at a higher level are tight. There are D2 and D4 U17 teams. But the quality for D1 would not be there with the Dublin players missing.U16 was scrapped in order to field 2 U17 teams i presume and not have lads playing 2 days in a row

2 Likes

I never understood this stuff at all ,questions then get asked how they decided where to put teams. Comes down to people in charge.
To be honest if you really look into it there isn’t a lot between D1 and D2 team bare 2 or 3 teams that would be extremely good. other than that most teams could beat each other.

15 a side is now mandatory in div 1,2,3 for u17+19. I can see that becoming an issue particularly at u19 for some div 2/3 teams. Really not giving clubs much help with the new age groups.

3 Likes

From recollection the working group was made up of members who come from the bigger clubs. All of good stock but they may not have had the experience, or been aware of the challenges smaller clubs face.

3 Likes

It’s not even smaller clubs, some medium sized clubs will struggle. I just think we’re heading for a lot of walkovers.

2 Likes

I see the benefit of U19 but i know going u17 and u19 will see some clubs struggle.

Ps could some one send me link or directions where on the website to find these u17 leagues i just cant find them.

On pages 2 and 3.

Div 2 looks very competitive… Judes, Isles Colmcille, Towers, Johns won the u16 B championship… This league looks to be very competitive… Especially with players involved with Dublin, be interesting to see how teams fair out without there best so called players… It could do wonders for the so called fringe players as they will get more game time…

1 Like

If fringe players are released. Not looking likely with championship not too far away

1 Like

I say county panels are near enough confirmed at this stage…

Beann Eadair (Howth) are 4 from 4 in Division 4 North. I had heard they were making good progress in promoting Hurling in the Howth Head region but this is beyond what I suspected, they should be able to field an Adult team within the next 3yrs at this rate. Another Hurling club emerging in Dublin :+1:t2:

BarrĂłg have always plucked a few from this area so might feel it a bit in years to come.

9 Likes