U19 Hurling 2022

no there was a choice to retain u18 also as well as the compulsory U17 and let clubs decide if they entered both or 18 alone . there would then be a 12 month lead in to deciding u19 for 2023.

The choice given to clubs was u19 or nothing agreed and it was a really poor one and quite a few here flagged it well before it failed, well before it started even

2 Likes

Sure the DCB have ignored clubs from the start of the year on this , not allowing 13 a side was a big mistake. It would of saved a heap of walkovers IMO. The next round of league games will be a wash of conceded games, hard to see how the championship will be any different.

6 Likes

a huge error and even 11 a side in the lowest division if necessary. If the remit was to retain and develop players the competition totally didnt achieve the hammerite does what it says on the tin test

6 Likes

U19 hurling champo set for w/end of 4th Sep as per fixture schedule with football qeek after

I think clubs will try but very hard to try and get it going this time of year from a standing start. Outside of Division 1 and A championship i think it will be a lost year.

1 Like

Out of the 11 league games scheduled for the weekend 5 of them are walkovers. Simply have to revert back to the old system that worked. 17/18(minor).

4 Likes

It’s been a shambles

Can somebody put u19 out of its misery

1 Like

If say they ll be lucky to get 2 games played by Sunday.

1 Like

entry’s must be in by tomorrow for 17/19 championships

Did the stats out on it there a few weeks back on the day of the All Ireland Football Final, wasnt too surprised with the numbers but still shows just how much of a shambles it is this year.
In 2021 there were 59 teams entered into the Minor Hurling League, across 39 different clubs.
Out of these 39 clubs, only 1 didn’t field a team AT ALL during the year at Minor Level, and only 1 other club conceded 2+ matches.
In comparison, in 2022, there were only 36 teams entered in to the U19 Hurling League, across 29 different clubs.
Out of these 29 clubs, 6 of them did not field a team AT ALL, with 2 more clubs conceding 2+ matches (according to Dublin GAA).

During the 2021 Minor League there were 46 games conceded overall (mainly due to the Division 5 grade where many ‘B’ teams never actually played any matches)
During the 2022 U19 Hurling League, there were a total of 56 games conceded.

Think it was a great idea to help lads transition from Minor to Adult hurling, but with the U17 matches taking place AFTER the 19s matches, 17s managers wont let their players tire themselves out before their match on a Sunday afternoon. Great idea but poor implementation imo.

6 Likes

U17 aren’t allowed play 19s before their match either it’s a ruling. The whole thing has been a shambles and DCB have a lot to answer for not letting clubs play 13/14 a side from the get go, my own club flagged this twice and we’re ignored. We now have a u19 champ starting in the knockout stages of adult, so lads will have been playing the full group stages of adult then asked to go back to 19s. Utter Shambles.

5 Likes

I’d say loads of clubs will not field u19 championship

An unmitigated disaster which was obvious from the off

5 Likes

The draws have been done anyways… be interesting to see how it fairs out, if some clubs prioritize adult teams in the latter stages of champ there will be more walkovers

1 Like

Lots of interesting stats there. You should send them to the County Board and perhaps even to a journalist in the media. There is some national roup who were seeking to restore Minor to U18 who no doubt would be interested in the figures.

Is it as depressing on the Football side ?

Re the teams entered into competitions where no actual games took place, will the clubs receive a refund of the entry fees ?

1 Like

Honestly wouldnt be too surprised if some clubs just “walkover” their way to a champo final or semi final! Similar kind of thing happened last year in the Minor D and E grades, but to a lesser extent.

Just did the stats out for the Football side there tonight, surprised me to be honest. These numbers are likely UNDERESTIMATED due to the way some Referees report games being “Conceded” (blank results with no score shown, or very-low scoring matches (0-1 to 0-0 or 0-0 to 0-0, etc.), as well as other oddities that come about as a result of Dublin GAA’s website structure and reporting system, not a complaint but just an observation.

The stats below compare the 2021 Minor and 2022 U19 Football Leagues, this comparison does not include champo stats.

There are currently (as far as I can tell) 78 registered Adult Football Clubs in Dublin, according to their AFL Contacts list for 2022 (just a base number ofc since some clubs have amalgamations at underage, such as Garristown, Ballyboughal and Clann Mhuire competing as St Peters, or may not field at underage, like Bank of Ireland, etc.)

In 2021, there were 89 teams entered to the Minor Football League, across 51 different clubs.
Out of these 90 teams, 5 of them conceded all of their games, and 3 of them played at least one match but conceded 2+ games. However, all of these teams who conceded 2+ or all matches were ‘B’ or ‘C’ teams, and no club were forced to pull all of their teams from the league or conceded 2+ games.
There was a total of 52 games conceded across all 2021 Minor Divisions, with only 4 walkovers occuring across the top 4 Divisions, whilst 47 walkovers occured in the 5th division (mainly due to clubs entering reserve teams who did not play any matches).

In comparison to this, in the 2022 U19 Football League: there were 50 teams entered into the league across 40 different clubs.
Out of this, 6 clubs didn’t field teams AT ALL, with a further 7 clubs conceding 2+ games but playing at least 1.
There were a total of 81 games conceded across the U19 leagues, with 34 games being conceded in Division 3 ALONE, more than half of what occurred across the entire Minor league campaign in 2021.

Tbh i expected the Hurling to be worse than the football initially, but i stand corrected.

4 Likes

Teams return the result by text that updates the website. I’ve done it involved in managing a team in the club last year

1 Like

Thanks Jake. Very hard to bring teams from underage to adult if this continues. I can only see it getting worse next year at U19 and I suspect we will see a lot of clubs taking young lads enblock up to Junior by skipping the U19 together.

1 Like

Personally, I think U.17 should have stayed on Saturday & leave 19’s on Sunday or vice versa, let lads play up or reduce it to 11 or 13 a side. The biggest issue I saw was that lads went playing adult due to Club numbers.

5 Likes

No games in July aug for 17s is a joke, I’ve seen it in my own club some lads have joined local soccer teams as nothing else happening

4 Likes