Walsh Cup 2023

It’s the news you have all been waiting for - the Walsh cup fixtures for 2023

2023 Walsh Cup draw

Group 1: Antrim, Dublin, Westmeath, Galway

Group 2: Kilkenny, Laois, Wexford, Offaly

Fixtures (home advantage for first team named):

Round 1: (Sunday, January 8th): Dublin v Antrim; Galway v Westmeath; Laois v Wexford; Kilkenny v Offaly

Round 2: (Saturday, January 14th): Westmeath v Antrim

Round 2: (Sunday, January 15th): Dublin v Galway; Laois v Kilkenny; Offaly v Wexford

Round 3: (Saturday, January 21st): Wexford v Kilkenny (6pm)

Round 3: (Sunday, January 22nd): Offaly v Laois; Antrim v Galway (Darver, 2pm); Westmeath v Dublin

Final to be played on Saturday, January 28th at Croke Park (3pm).

2023 Kehoe Cup fixtures (home advantage for first team named):

Round 1: (Thursday, January 5th): Kildare v Carlow; Wicklow v Meath; Down bye

Round 2: (Sunday, January 8th): Carlow v Wicklow; Meath v Down; Kildare bye

Round 3: (Sunday, January 15th): Down v Carlow (Abbottstown, 2pm); Wicklow v Kildare, Meath bye

Round 4: (Sunday, January 22nd): Carlow v Meath; Kildare v Down; Wicklow bye

Round 5: (Saturday, January 28th): Meath v Kildare

Round 5: (Sunday, January 29th): Down v Wicklow (Abbottstown, 2pm); Carlow bye

4 Likes

Dublin fixtures: 2023 Walsh Cup

Group 1: Antrim, Dublin, Westmeath, Galway

Round 1: (Sunday, January 8th): Dublin v Antrim; Galway v Westmeath; Laois v Wexford; Kilkenny v Offaly

Round 2: (Sunday, January 15th): Dublin v Galway; Laois v Kilkenny; Offaly v Wexford

Round 3: (Sunday, January 22nd): Offaly v Laois; Antrim v Galway (Darver, 2pm); Westmeath v Dublin

Final to be played on Saturday, January 28th at Croke Park (3pm).

Good chance we will win this as they are going fairly hard at it already

Assume we’ll look at a lot of different options

Saw an interview with Eoghan O’Donnell, they only touched on the new setup, said the coaches are quality and are quick to let you know if someone is not up to scratch etc.

Mentioned big turnover with lads away and gone off the panel but he didn’t say anything about who the new faces in are.

Talking to a lad from the club who was called up!There are over 50 training together at the moment.So with numbers like that they must be having a look at alot of new faces which sounds promising :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

U20s training with seniors?

Good that they’re having a look at a good few people anyways

1 Like
1 Like

I wonder will the Kilmacud game be the same day as the Antrim game?

I hope to be there for both games!!

1 Like

Be nice to know who is on the panel!

3 Likes

Would love to know who is involved alright. if they’re looking at 50, minus the guys traveling and minus the guys said to have opted out then they’re probably looking at pretty much anyone & everyone.

1 Like

At least 17 gone it seems so be nice to see the final shakeup

Walsh & league this year will surely be used to try things out.

Our main issue this year is the forward setup and playing without many recognized scoring forwards. We’ve few guys who will chip in but not many who will go on a run of scores consistently.

Think it’s worth looking at hayes further out the field, he was much more influential for crokes when he moved deeper v Ballyhale, best I’ve seen him play in some time. Seemed to thrive in the extra space. He’s not scoring anything like regularly enough in ff line so it’s a logical enough switch to try imo.

Purcell I’d have thought was a shoe in as a corner forward but he’s so involved for crokes around midfield I can totally see the sense in playing him there. Uses the ball well, has the pace, stick work and step to make room for himself and can take a score.

Considine was in and around the panel earlier in the year last year but dropped off the radar, not sure if he had a knock or what. He’s a bloody handful, if he gets a sniff inside he’ll go for a goal and can score from wide areas as well. Strong and fast.

Dowling for me worth a look as well, another guy who is big & strong and fast, can make things happen.

Hopefully Cian O’Sullivan can get back & fit. Sean Currie likewise, he didn’t look that fit or sharp for nafianna after missing so much of the season, but still an influential playmaker, his shooting was way off. Michael murphy similar, didn’t look 100% and had a poor final but was good in the other games despite the poor preparation of being away for the summer.

17!!! Holy crap, who else?

My ger doderil nomination this year goes to Mark Grogan & Eoghan Dunne.

4 Likes

Dunno I only heard about 10

Where’d you get the 17 from?

Another source . Let’s see .

Jeez, let’s hope it’s not that many