Wild Geese Pitch Development 2020

https://www.instagram.com/p/CM5JQo5DTE3/?igshid=1ggbonf7b3zdm

This year the Wild Geese hurling club are seeking to raise much needed funds for a new pitch development. We will be taking on a 1888km run, walk and cycle goal. The year our club was formed.
As you can see on our Facebook and Instagram pages, we’ve had a few celebrity endorsements already, which is fantastic in raising awareness!
With a little help from the wider Dublin GAA community we could push it over the line and have better facilities for ourselves and opposition teams to come and enjoy in the future.
Thank you for taking the time to support a small North County hurling club and help us grow into the future!

17 Likes

Always liked going out there for matches. Best of luck with the development. :+1:

2 Likes

likewise

2 adut hurling teams now

no football?

1 Like

Yea hurling only. 2 adult teams, a thriving nursery and several underage teams.
Age caught up with the footballers and with no underage setup, it was virtually impossible to keep a team going.
We decided then to put all our eggs in the one basket! The new facilities will be a massive boost to a growing club.

5 Likes

Great to hear your hurling only, how long is that the case? Best of luck with the development.

3 Likes

Thanks for the well wishes! Yea, great that we could keep the club going in some form. Going from strength to strength. Also have a camogie team going for the last few years! Men’s football team folded last year unfortunately.

2 Likes

Where are the kids in the nursery coming from?
If you can keep the nursery going and get kids playing into their teens in both codes, I am sure you can get an adult football team going again, in time.
Best of luck with the redevelopment.

1 Like

Thanks @beeko Kids coming from Oldtown itself and then Rolestown, Ballyboughal, Garristown and other surrounding areas. All the surrounding areas are football only, so having the hurling only club doesn’t interfere with their footballers. Kind of works to our advantage in a way that we are the only hurling club in the area!
Possibly some development of the area in the future could lead to its return.

2 Likes

Best of luck. Have ye dropped football altogether or is it just a temporary situation at adult level?

1 Like

Cheers @SuperDubSub. Yea, unfortunately it looks that way. No underage system and any kids growing up mainly play for Fingal Ravens or Ballyboughal. At least with the hurling we’ve found a niche in the area! Hopefully we can keep that going for years to come. New pitch will certainly help.

2 Likes

Kevins gave up the football after winning 4 minor football championships in the 30s/40s and are based in the inner city where soccer is king. Still going strong … your approach makes a lot of sense.

2 Likes

Great stuff - best of luck with it.

1 Like

Best of luck @disco Great Club & Great people.
Had the pleasure of playing Geese in their first ever Adult League game, and unfortunately when ye won your first league title the following year.

1 Like

Thanks @LiamMac. Like your own club! I remember both games well. Had some great matches against yourselves over the years. Hopefully we can have a few more to look forward to!

1 Like

Still have the bruise from Mr Sweetman :joy::joy:

1 Like

Great to see , play with commericals meself in a predominantly football area, best of luck :+1:

1 Like

On that topic have commercials and Mary’s ever looked at merging given they have to or at least should be totally cooperating to get the kids playing both codes

I play with St Finians in Newcastle , traditionally speaking there was never a need to merge with either football club, we all just muck in together when we play hurling , I think a merger or amalgamation would be a non runner with the risk of ostracising one of the other football clubs. Obviously commericals hurling club are rathcoole and rathcoole would be St Mary’s in football lock stock , so I hear what your saying. If we were to follow the model of cork and Kerry for senior championship I’d love to see a “Four corners” team entered in football to see how we’d compete

3 Likes

That’s a serious pool of players but I imagine the main focus being football and their parish club

Great to hear you’re going well and hope you continue to strengthen

2 Likes

Thanks @Quick_Flash, yea it’s just trying to get them at underage to be duel players. With us not having football it helps!
We had a great weekend and raised plenty towards the development, so hopefully it’ll stand to us in years to come and we have facilities the club and members can be proud of.